Pontiacman

I have a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.1 mated to a 4T60. I would like to swap a 3400 out of a 2002 chev Venture. Is there a way of making the TV cable work with the TB on the 3400? What other problems besides EGR, Injector harness may I encounter. I plan on swapping all of the sensors from the 3.1 over

You'll probably need the 4T65e that comes with it. I don't think a 4T60 can stand up to a 3400. Also, make sure the intake gasket has been fixed on that engine.

the 4t60 and 3400 are going 2 have sever fighting with each other, your going 2 need 2 ECUs, 1 for the 4t60 and 1 for the 3400 to run. Good luck.

-Jeff

OR...........

You could just re-wire the 3400 for MFI operation (it's not that hard.........just a few mods to the fuel injector harness IIRC), run an FFP chip (they have them setup for 3400 MFI's now), and go from there. The kickdown cable may still be a little bit of a problem, but nothing insurmountable though.

This IS a lot easier to do with a 5 speed...............

As for the 4T60 (E) not standing up to the 3400................riiiight.

It's rated for 280lb/ft of torque............and since even a modded 3400 won't have more than 230lb/ft (at MOST)........

Not to offend my fellow members on this forum that responded to this thread. You guys are out to lunch. :roll: What are you trying to do send PONTIACMAN running for the hills? None of you have done it so why speculate with miss info when you don’t know.

PONTIACMAN Don’t let these guys discourage you.

It’s a pretty straightforward swap. Lots of little things but nothing that can't be done in your garage. In answer to your questions. TV, all that is needed is a flat 18 ga piece of sheet metal, 2 screws with nuts, your old stud off your TB. I used the old cable cover metal. If you get serious I’ll mail you the temple. Then cut the rectangle hole off your old TV bracket and weld it on to the new brkt. EGR, (electric) will bolt on you just have to slot your old EGR holes a little and cut the top off your EGR bung and move it forward on the xover and weld it on.(yea then drill the hole) Injector harness options are change the connectors on your old harness to the new connectors or change injectors to the older style as I did because I had some 30# I wanted to try.

You can use all the new sensors except the manifold temp because there is none. You don’t need the cam or crank pulley sensor. You can use you’re your old computer and memcal and all your wiring. The injector are high impedance and they don’t care when there fired either batch as you will be, or one at a time. Either does the motor. When you check out your motor just make sure it’s got a crank sensor. My top end swap was from a 2001 but I would guess that 2002 is the same.

As for the lower end. As I remember the knock sensor is on front of the block so you would have to pull the wire out of the harness to reach or just add wire. The ac mount is different but it looks like with cutting off the bottom and drilling a hole in the old brkt it would work.

As for the transmission. If you beat it you will eventually break it. Mine has been through hell for the last 70 k and is holding up fine.

If you decided to do it email me with any questions. I’ve got quite a few pictures that would have to be emailed one at a time until star photo gets there act together.

Do it you will like it. :D

Jud

Not to offend my fellow members on this forum that responded to this thread. You guys are out to lunch. :roll: What are you trying to do send PONTIACMAN running for the hills? None of you have done it so why speculate with miss info when you don’t know.

I would hope you aren't refering to me?

If you read closely, I DID say it was pretty straightfoward. All you have to do is switch the injectors to MFI operation, and (for best gains) run an FFP chip designed for the 3400. I personally didn't know exactly HOW to do the kickdown cable, but I knew it wasn't very hard...............

You all realise that I actually *have* a 3400 mated to a 60-E in my Beretta and have seen a few other swaps (both manual and automatic) into both SFI and MFI cars.

No sorry Canada. :oops: Got carried away with the other BS. Thought about you but got involved and just didn't post. You don't have to do anything. It's bassically plug and play. I don't know which is the best gain SFI or MPI but this thing runs like a stripped ass rabbit on MPI. No chip changes no nothing regarding memcals or computers. I felt you had the best reply. You said it can be done. Everybod else. I don't think I should say anymore, my screen might catch fire.

Jud

If I remember correctly, all the SFI 660 motors (94+) switch to MPFI operation past 3k-3.5k. SFI is simply for fuel economy.

I would still get the FFP chip...........they have optimized fuel and spark curves.......and you can have them set the shift points for your automatic. Plus they can shut off the EGR (which can be a bit of a pain to adapt over) (you might need a working EGR if you have emission testing in your state), raise your governor, and your raise rev limiter (I wouldn't go ANY higher than 6200 rpm on a 3400).

Anyways.....good luck....its certainly not as powerful as an L67 swap......but it is something you can do over a long weekend in your garage using a basic set of tools.

http://www.3400swap.com .........that link maybe a bit of help to you.