Olds Motorsports VRD info

Uniquedreamz

Hello, I'm new to the site and am looking for info on my car. I have exhausted this site and most of it's links and cannot find the info i need. Two years ago I bought a 1993 Cutty and loved it immidiately. Less than a year ago some knob took and gouge/scratched the paint on every panel except the front valance. When I took it in to get painted , the dealership phoned me less than an hour after i dropped it off and asked me to please return to the shop. Upon my return the dealership owner introduced himself and asked where I had acquired the car. To make a long story short, when they ran the VIN # on my car it came back as a Olds Motorsports Vehicle Research and Developement test car. Used in Sept 1992 through may 1993 to see how much power could be put through the 4T60-E without modification to the tranny. It has a few wierd options inside and a few different bobbles under the hood. I added more of course. Last spring the motor was completely re-done due to a cracked piston (@ 122000 KM) the car now has 162000 km on it and still dyno's out @ 287 whp with 266 fp of tourque. I want to find out more about what this car has been used for and what modifications were done by Olds to begin with. Even before I started tinkering this car had over 260 whp and i would love to see similar gain for others with the LQ1 provided the mods aren't too complicated. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uniquedreamz

• BIGBULS

• DaveFromColorado

• gp90se

Hey there..

I gotta say I don't have any info about the car, but I wanted to get a bit of info from you. Everyone with the LQ1 wants the 300hp engine, and I guess I can say I'm speakin' for most people when I ask what were all the specs on the motor, and secondly, is there any way you can get a copy of the program burned on your chip for others to use.

okay, back to the topic at hand...

You can write (or even e-mail) GM, Oldsmobile division, supply the VIN to them and ask them what all information they have about your perticular vehicle.

--Dave.

Well, I'm no mechanic but the biggest change i can physically see is the head and the throttlebody, the rest looks pretty much the same. When you say chip do you mean the cpu chip? And I should also let you know that if this can be copied you're also looking at a few dollars into the tranny, mine cost me a little over $650 Cd but i added a stall converter at the same time. Since though no leaks or tranny probs and if ya hit it right it'll pick the drivers front off the ground shifting from first to second lol

what about the head is different? I could imagine that there's a larger t-body on there, you'd have to move way more air to get that thing running like that.

my e-mail is davefromcolorado@mn.rr.com I'd love to see any pictures you have of this car (namely the engine) if you've got MSN messanger, I'm davefromcolorado@hotmail.com

Anyhow yeah the chip I mean the PROM or the CPU I guess in the car, if you could get the numbers off the chip, or even get someone to pull a copy of the program off of the chip that'd be more then perfect.

--Dave

Man, if what you're saying is true, I'm betting those cams are definately not stock! There are supposedly big gains to be had with the right cams in the LQ1. Too bad there aren't any to be had. :(

It sure would to have the mod list for it! Try your best to find out.

BTW, sounds like you have a nice candidate for a Getrag 284 swap :D

I just want to see any copies of the dyno charts (before, after, and anything in between).

Until then I'm kinda sceptical.......... :?

I am with you on this one, but if its true, my friend you have the key to many of the LQ1 owners hearts :lol:

you are correct, the T at the end was a typo

Am I correct in assuming that your lack of response to my inquiry means that you don't have one to show me????

yeah, a dyno sheet would be awesome.

for some reason carfax doesn't like the vin 1G3WH51X1P9342153 - tells me it's invalid (not that I can get a full report, but just some quick info, where it was made, and how many records on the car kinda thing)

--Dave

I probably typed it in wrong, or carfax doesn't work for cars not registered in the US.

--Dave

I got the same thing....and it normally will pull up Canadian cars.....normally

I would still like to see some pics, and you never mentioned what about it (other than the dyno sheet) is different about it than a regular Cutlass.

This a 4dr car?

I doubt if this is the same thing, but the guy I bought mine from told me that it was a dealer car for it's first 8K miles or so. Then he bought it and got a full warranty from the dealership. He sold it to me with 66K on the clock. I never had it in to a dealer for anything, so I have no clue what would come up. The only noticeable difference on my engine is that there is no oil cooler where the filter screws in. The hole in the block was closed with a screw plug.

Here's my VIN if anybody wants to run it and check:

1G3WT34X4PD376276