The Gutlass is dead...& I know why now.

NOHC_WBody

Much like it's maker's namesake now, The Gutlass died this past Sunday morning at about 11:00 AM. Terminal transmission failure. My initial guess is it was either the reaction drive, or the front hydraulic pump. Either way, the 1st & 2nd gear clutch bands are as fried as Motley Crue in 1989.

On a more technical note, I snooped, poked & prodded around the remains of the Gutlass in hopes of learning more about it's cause of death. Intermittent contact on the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid connector. As best I can figure out, the pass through connector(basically a male to male adapter) in the case had become partially disconnected from the internal wiring, causing the TC to lock & unlock in a random cycle based on what looks like a short circuit.

A 59 cent part destroyed the transmission. :dunce:

Pass_thru_connector.jpg

Here's the dilemna. Several choices...problem is, the wife needs transportation & I can't have the car down for more than a few days to do the L67 swap. The means are there, I could find a motor to bolt to the trans I already have(a 16K mile 4T65-E-HD)..(which, WON'T work with the boat anchor that's in it now, as most of you already know)

1. Fix it...have the slushbox rebuilt(expensive bandaid)

2. Buy a junkyard trans & have it installed(slightly less expensive bandaid)

3. Try to find the wife another car.(the most expensive of the three) & shelve the Gulass until the resources are there to do the swap right.

First off, a very great way to post! Sounded almost like you are a Certified Car Doctor, to this post i give you honors!! :cheers:

From what I recall about your Gutlass and yoruself, you have planned this project for quite sometime, and more likely than not, you have entertained yourself with the thought of having the L67 already and maybe even more mods to the G-Less as a result....

Don't let your dreams die...fight for 'em! Get the wife a beater and follow your dream. You only live once!

Option 3

If you dont have time now to do the swap....will you ever??

The third option of buying the wife another car is rapidly becoming the first one, in my head. That way, I can go ahead & pull the drivetrain out of the Gutlass & get down to the nuts & bolts(bad pun)of what I want to do to it. If it weren't for needing the car right away, I'd go ahead & buy an L67 to swap it & tell her to keep her dad's 97 STS to drive while I do it.(He's been awesome in helping us out, loaning it to us & all...he told us to "keep it as long as we need it"....The problem is...with that thing in the driveway, there's this sick temptation to start pulling the drivetrain in it & start hammering away, in vain hopes on MAKING it fit)

I'm seriously leaning towards a 1st gen Neon for her. Economic, Cheap to insure

With the driveline pulled, I can get at the front suspension a lot easier to make installing the FUT front springs I have, STILL collecting dust, along with the 94+ brakes as well. Doing that will allow me to work on it at my leisure.

And if I get pissed, I can always set the thing on fire & make a bonfire post. :mrgreen:

option 3

Yeah I was thinking something small like a Sunfire or even a crappy Neon.. just something that works to go from "point A to point B" since that what many women think cars are for (she'll appreciate the L67 so much more when you have it in :wink: )

option 3

Yeah I was thinking something small like a Sunfire or even a crappy Neon.. just something that works to go from "point A to point B" since that what many women think cars are for

you're abslutely right about that :lol:

Don't put your girl in a neon for christ sakes, at least buy her a civic or a corolla.

Kindly paypal me the cost difference between your average Neon & a Civic then. :roll: I'm not worried about whether or not she likes the damned thing.

I know I shouldn't have been there, but I found myself looking at a 95' Z34 Monte today at a Chevy stealership. I couldn't help myself. The wife was nowhere nearby..she'd have said no in a heartbeat. :lol:

Red/Grey cloth. 86K, timing belt looked fairly recent, trans fluid was still in good condition.

They told me they'd take 4500 for it.

I almost buckled. I wanted to hear that 3.4 roar & whine again & say it was mine. :lol: