CODE 42???

Guest Gp crazy

Guest Gp crazy

:cuss: :puke: :confused: :devil: :dunce: :bash: :mrgreen:

ONE 89 GP 5 SPEED 2.8

LAST NIGHT I WAS DRIVING HOME AND THE CAR WAS BUCKING ,STALLING & THE UP SHIFT LIGHT WAS ON ALL THE TIME!

UNDER 2000-3000 RPMS LIGHT WAS ON EVEN NOT IN GEAR

:twisted:

BUT AT 3500 RPM THE LIGHT 'S OUT AND RUNNING LIKE SHIT (SOUNDS LIKE A LAWN MOWER) SES LIGHT ON GOT CODE 42 & THAT INDCATES A BAD ICM RIGHT ?

SO I WENT TO "NAPA,ADVANCE,AUTOZONE,PEP-BOYS " BUT NO ONE COULD TEST IT THE ICM :shock: SO I GOT UPSET AND GOT DROPED OFF AT WORK :evil:

WHAT'S THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN THE 80$ STANDERD AND 192.00 NAPA BRAND WHICH LOOKED LIKE THE SAME PART AT PEP BOYS BORG WARNER FOR 119.00 IS THERE A DIFFERNCE ?

ALSO WHERE IS A GOOD SPOT TO RELOCATE THE COIL PACK UNIT SO THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ANY MORE TO MUCH HEAT KILLS EVERYTHING (BAD SPOT ON GM'S PART ) SOME GOOD PICTURES WOULD BE HELPFULL

THANK'S JEFF B SORRY NOT HE BEST TYPEIST IN THE WORLD :yikes: :guns: :dammit: :read:

o ok.... well, code 42 means u need a car swap..... :roll:

no, but really, if it threw code 42, that means that there may be a malfunction in the Electronic Spark Timing (EST) system. During cranking, the timing is controlled by the ignition module and the ECM grounds the EST line. It expects to see no activity on this line at this time. When the ECM enters EST mode, it applies +5 volts to the BYPASS line and expects to see voltage variations on the EST line.

Reasons for the ECM to set Code 42:

System in BYPASS mode (i.e. EST line supposedly grounded) but activity sensed on EST line

System in EST mode (i.e. BYPASS line driven with +5 volts) but no activity seen on the EST line

Possible causes include:

BYPASS line is open or grounded

EST line is open or grounded

Poor connections between ignition module and ECM

Poor routing of EST harness and/or poor quality ignition wires (EMI induced electrical noise

Faulty or incorrect ignition module

Faulty ECM