Threaded wastegate rod

god910

My auto TGP has a threaded one, and the 5 speed doesn't. As I understand it, you can adjust the rod to keep the wastegate closed longer(???) or altogether? Benefits to having an adjustable rod? Should I swap the one from the 5sp. (The fast car, currently non-adjustable) to the auto?

The purpose of a threaded wastegate rod is to be able to "preload" the spring tension in the Wastegate Actuator Diaphram. No matter what pressure pulses are sent from the Wastegate Actuator Solenoid, the diaphram will not open until the preload on the diaphram is overcome to allow the wastegate valve to open.

I had one on my Turbo Sunbird that came with the new turbo I had to purchase for it. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the threaded wastegate rod! I set it to 12 PSI and never had an issue. The tricky part is to find an apparatus to set the preload. I had a hypodermic syringe with a pressure gauge attached and then a hard piece of plastic tubing from the syringe to the diaphram nipple. I would "pump up" the syringe until the gauge would read 11PSi and then very carefully watch the wastegate actuator rod. As soon as you see any movement in the rod that would be my set point for the wastegate to open. The wastegate rod only has to move .245" (according to Garret Turbos) for the rod to begin to release pressure from the exhaust side, thus regulating your boost pressure.

The shorter the rod the higher the PSI pre-load. The longer the easier it is to move.

I will try to get a picture posted of the syringe/gauge setup I had for an idea if you would like... 8)

Guest TurboSedan
My auto TGP has a threaded one, and the 5 speed doesn't. As I understand it, you can adjust the rod to keep the wastegate closed longer(???) or altogether? Benefits to having an adjustable rod? Should I swap the one from the 5sp. (The fast car, currently non-adjustable) to the auto?

one of my TGP turbos has a threaded rod, and one doesn't. would it be very hard to thread a wastegate rod with a die?

joshua