Prices for 282

Baddflash

Just wanted to check with you guys what would be a fair price for a 282 from a '90 GP w/ 165,000 kms. If I pull it myself I can get it for $80 but there yard is a soup bowl right now so for $50 they're pulling it for me.

So does $130 sound fair for said tranny?

How much for a basic clutch compared to the top end one? I might install the 3.1L/5M first to work out any issues from the tranny swap, before the 3100 turbo swap.

Lastly any recommended upgrades to help it withstand 300+ HP.

Thanks for any help.

Umm, if it's just the trans that is a really good price if it is in good shape. The 282 is put behind fieros and can hold what a 350 puts out so I wouldnt worry.

-Tony

im doing a 3.1 turbo 5-speed swap and its not a cheap project

That's why I'm thinking the 3.1 will end up going in first. I figure it'll cost $3000 or so to do up the 3100, at least it only cost me $50 :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

So does $130 sound fair for said tranny?

heck yeah it sounds like a great deal. the 110,000 mile '88 282 in my car cost me $160, but it needed a $115 TO bearing fork and a bearing for said fork that cost another $55, and another $35 in labor to install it.

my '90 282....that's a different story. i paid $900 shipped for a rebuilt Crane cammed 3.1/Getrag 282 combo with new clutch and it all included *everything* needed to swap it in. the 3.1 had a rod knock from the get-go and lasted 500 miles. the 282 lasted almost 50,000 miles before it blew up. worst money i ever spent. i feel really stupid even mentioning here it but it's true. on the bright side, i learned a helluva lot about my car. oh well i try not to think about it too much.

my '89 282 - free :)

joshua

From what I've heard, that's a great price. The 282 can withstand 350 horsepower in a fiero, which is lighter, and doesn't have wheels that turn on that axle. I've heard they're very build-up-able, though.

Any transmission can handle anything, with enough work and money...

I think I have the new slogan for this board: W-Bodies: Kick Ass Performance at a Cost, a good car nonetheless.