Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I finally pulled my cluster out today to fix the check gages and low fuel light. Shawn recomends resoldering but I was afraid of soldering everything together. So I touched each joint with the soldering iron. Works good now. I also sanded behind the intercooled turbo and put a light in it. Looks sweet.

One of my bulbs was all black and wouldn't shine much light. Dealer's are closed today so I went and got new bulbs at Advance Auto Parts. I broke the solder between the bulb and base and soldered my own bulbs in. The guy at Advance told me it was impossible to do it that way. HA, proved him wrong.

Thanks Shawn for having the info available for shit like this.

I finally pulled my cluster out today to fix the check gages and low fuel light. Shawn recomends resoldering but I was afraid of soldering everything together. So I touched each joint with the soldering iron. Works good now. I also sanded behind the intercooled turbo and put a light in it. Looks sweet.

One of my bulbs was all black and wouldn't shine much light. Dealer's are closed today so I went and got new bulbs at Advance Auto Parts. I broke the solder between the bulb and base and soldered my own bulbs in. The guy at Advance told me it was impossible to do it that way. HA, proved him wrong.

Thanks Shawn for having the info available for shit like this.

For future reference, I find that when retouching solder joints, applying rosin flux to the joint with a toothpick before soldering helps. Usually the retouch can be done with the existing solder, no need to add any, flux helps the existing solder flow. It is available in small tubes from Radioshack. Clean joints before and after soldering to remove contaminants and flux residue, using rubbing alcohol or other suitable solvent.

I will have to solder in bulbs for the power window and seat switch bulbs, as these are not even available at the dealer.