any problems with 3800 engines

Goph

Check my sig.

we put 80,000 on 86 Lesabre, its been semi retired/restored at 150,000 miles - no water pump, no alternator problems, no gasket leaks. Needed one cam sensor and starter at 148,000.

Riv - doesnt count, I've never put it on the road. I have all the reciepts from original owner and there are lots of them all electrical oriented no engine problems or parts. 92,000 miles, Engine is clean as a wistle no oil leaks

97 LSS - L67 bought with 60,000 miles now 100,000 miles, no oil leaks, engine is clean . It did need a water pump at 80,000. No alternator problems

91 Regal - bought 1 1/2 years ago with 223,000 from original owner now 244,000 Have all reciepts mainly brakes and struts, water pump ad timing cover at 212,000, wheelbearing @ 151,000,alt@ 138,212, lots of pads and rotors :lol: Typical W body

The NA series II (L36) I am afraid of. Gotta admit. The is the one that has the gasket or intake failure. Not the L67, the L67 is aluminum manifold. thing is not all of the L36's fail. The mechanic I have for my engine diagnostics told me he has never had one of his customers fail. Lots of guys on the Bonneville forum - http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/ - have the L36 and L 27's and I never hear complaints. I'd go there to ask about the L36 if you want to know more about the rate of that failure. Great bunch over there. I guess the replacement gasket is upgraded and better. They would also know about the intake interchange that Brian asked about. But Im sure the aluminum L27 SI manifold will not fit L36 SII. My 91 L27 is all aluminum intake. Also some early L27's were EGR less and there is supposed to be some potential problems with that. These guys have addressed that issue as well.

I'd say if you were looking ito a L36 powered car I would negotiate on that issue or let them keep it. You will need money to repair that, its is a major job. Alot of L36 cars a priced low anyway. For the right price I'd buy one but I wouldnt pay what I paid for the LSS. I believe there was a recall on that gasket anyhow, dont know how it was applied though. Go ask the Bonneville guys or maybe the GP or Regal people, I dont visit their sites so I dont know any links.

When I had my mechanic look at my car before I bought it, he mentioned the intake gasket failure as the only problem with these engines. I haven't looked into repairing it, but it must have happened enough times that he's repaired it.

Never had any problems with my Intake gasket.

The problem with the pre 93 L27's w/o the EGR is that they would burn up the valves around 150,000 miles.

The reason they didn't get the EGR was that they passed emmisions w/o it. But once GM noticed that the valves would burn up they put it back on.

Check my sig.

91 Regal - bought 1 1/2 years ago with 223,000 from original owner now 244,000 Have all reciepts mainly brakes and struts, water pump ad timing cover at 212,000, wheelbearing @ 151,000,alt@ 138,212, lots of pads and rotors :lol: Typical W body

Do you know why the timing cover needed to be changed? Would it have anything to do with the camshaft moving back and drilling into it? I heard about a spring loaded clip that can occasionally fail and cause this.

thanks, people. I still don't know what is going to happen to my car and if i could even get a different one or not.

I'm not afraid about a alt. going out because I'm sure i will fry it some time because my amps take more power then what my alt now can handle and i fried the original one with a amp that was 1/4 the size the one i have now.

Check my sig.

Do you know why the timing cover needed to be changed? Would it have anything to do with the camshaft moving back and drilling into it? I heard about a spring loaded clip that can occasionally fail and cause this.

Slip is for gasket set, water pump, by pass hose, anti freeze, parts cleaner, surp belt, timing cover, I bet this is the answer right here, 1 5/16 X3 bolt, and misc hardware.

I'd take a guess after 11 years and 212639 miles maybe a bolt broke or stripped in the timing cover removing the water pump. Most mechanic will just purchase new part than take the time to try to remove bolt from aluminum. Nothing on here regarding timing gear.

I know on the old engines like my 86's if the cam button wears out it can begin to ware on the timing cover thrust surface. I Never here any of the newer owners mentioning it. I was told at the dealership it could happen to my old engines.

My EGR less L27 must be doing good. It hasnt been abused though. I rarely take it to 5 grand. Unless the first L27's did have EGR, you would think I'd take the time to look ey ? I was all over there when I did the pressure reg and fuel rail but it wasnt on my mind. Cant picture one though.