Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i got my DIC out of a '90 International Cutlass coupe with a Quad-4/5-speed. will the DIC be accurate? i'm wondering if the fuel economy will be way off or something :?: i seen a few other DIC's from 3.1 Internationals too so i can get another no problem anyway. btw, i even seen a '90 International Sedan with a Quad-4/5-speed!

joshua

That is one of those things that you are going to have to try and find out. The one in my car came out of a 1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency with the 3800, and it is VERY accurate (software version 2.2CH). I got one from a 1989-1991 Cutlass coupe from the junkyard, and it is NOT accurate (software version 1.8W). I thought that the Cutlass one would work fine, but it was flakey (probably needs some solderingdone to it). So far, I have had good luck with the 98 one.

Taylor

Guest TurboSedan

cool. i was hoping the DIC would just display the info that it got from the ECM. if it didn't then i suppose there would be lots of different part #'s for DIC's depending on engine/trans/weight combo or something and there would have to be some sort of calibration built into the DIC....that wouldn't make sense for GM. i know my car gets 18-20 mpg when i'm at work. on the interstate i usually get 32mpg. i'll post on accuracy later.........thanks.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

possibly. i got my Auto Climate Control (ACC) out of a '91 CS International coupe that didn't have DIC, but it was pre-wired for it so i took the DIC pigtails while i was at it (anyone need DIC pigtails?) it might be that any car that gets ACC is also wired for DIC. my car wasn't wired for either :( btw, i think the sportpod itself is different on DIC equipt cars, or at least you would need that little cubby hole next to it too.

joshua

possibly. i got my Auto Climate Control (ACC) out of a '91 CS International coupe that didn't have DIC, but it was pre-wired for it so i took the DIC pigtails while i was at it (anyone need DIC pigtails?) it might be that any car that gets ACC is also wired for DIC. my car wasn't wired for either :( btw, i think the sportpod itself is different on DIC equipt cars, or at least you would need that little cubby hole next to it too.

joshua

I have the cubbyhole, but no ACC or DIC. What does ACC upgrade require? Just the dashboard control unit, or are there other control devices under the dash?

Guest TurboSedan

yeah, but on a DIC sportpod the cubby hole is really small since the DIC takes up most of it. as for ACC....i'm going to start another topic on that right now...

joshua

1988-1989 Cutlass are not prewired for anything except the fog lights. GM did not start doing that until around 1990. If you get the ACC, then it is prewired for the DIC, but if you have the regular AC, then it is not there.

THE DIC DOES NOT GET ALL OF IT'S INFO FROM THE ECM!!!!!

There are differances. Like the fuel economy. It figures that out by taking the SPEED, and the FUEL USED and averaging them. If yours is calibrated differantly, then it will not work. Like I said, it is a trial and error thing. You will have to wire it up, try it, and if it doesn't work, try another one. Like I posted earlier, the one that i got from a Cutlass 3.1L Automatic DID NOT work in my car, but the one that i got from a 98 Regency with the 3800 DOES WORK.

Taylor

• 3 weeks later...

most of the cars were prewired. Do you have a little blue or black plug (6 or 8 pins) that is tucked away to the left of the cluster? If so, then you were pre-wired. There will also be a box thingie under the electrical center of the hood.

Taylor

Guest TurboSedan

i am pre-wired for the fog lamps, even tho i don't have them. i got the instrument panel trim piece with the fog light switch and plugged it in - the switch lights up, but, - where do the wires go? the underhood electrical center? what do i need to do to wire up the fog lights? i'm getting a BYP front bumper and will be tackling this soon. tonight i'm at the public library and i copied the entire wiring diagrams for my car (all 17 pages from the Mitchell manual). i also got the entire wiring diagrams for a '90 Grand Prix, because my car has a '90 Grand Prix engine wiring harness. hopefully i can get my A/C fixed now.....

wiring projects are fun :)

thanks,

joshua

that I am not sure about. My car was not prewired for anything. I did not have any major trouble with the power windows, and locks seeing that the plugs for the passive restrain are the same in all the cars, so I was able to just plug the power doors into the original harness, put in a circuit breaker, and they worked.

Under the hood, look UNDER the electrica center (if you have the coolant bottle on the side of the car, just undo the 2 screws, and move it out of the way. If you have the coolant bottle in between the dogbones/torque struts, then on the panel to your left, just lift the 2 tabs and pull it away. There should be a box under there that all you will need to do id put in a relay. Follow the wires to see if you can find the plugs for the lights.

Taylor