one fucked up car... brakes lights on/off with steering...

Hey guys...

My friend needs some help here. he's got a 95 Cutlass with the 3100. Basically what you see in the subject is the problem. His brake lights turn on and off with the turning and tilting off the steering wheel. His center brake light (in rear window) always comes on with application of the brakes, the main two are VERY flaky. It seems that something is messed up in the steering column that has to do with the brakes.

Any brake system wiring diagrams that can be posted, or emailed to me... (zachshaferz@hotmail.com) would be VERY helpful.

TIA,

Zach

The turn signal switch behind the steering wheel needs to be replaced.

The hazard switch on these begin to short out after time, thus causing the brake lights (except for the center) to fail. I had this happen to my lumina, and it's a problem on my Cutlass now too.

I know it's confusing to think that the hazard switch has anything to do with the brake lights.. but that's the way it is. Press down on the brake, and have someone watch the brake lights while he jiggles around the hazard switch. Since the car probably has an airbag, I'd take it someplace to have it replaced. I fixed it myself on my lumina, but that's only because I had no airbag to get in the way of the steering wheel removal.

Hope that helps..

Guest TurboSedan

mine did that too. for awhile the only brake light i had was the 3rd brake light. the brake lights would only work if my turn signals were on. i fixed the problem by pulling the wheel off and using some Quik Dry electrical contact cleaner and some Q-tips. in my case it was those 6 little copper contact fingers in the turn siganal switch. i also bent them down slightly for better contact. the switch was fine, just dirty. it's workin' great now :) :) good luck.

joshua

On my 94 GP, the turn signals will not flash when its really cold outside. They will just come on and stay on, no blinking, not even on the dash. But on warm days, they are great.

On my 94 GP, the turn signals will not flash when its really cold outside. They will just come on and stay on, no blinking, not even on the dash. But on warm days, they are great.

Check to see if ALL the lights are coming on. Since this is a thermal flasher, if a bulb is burned out, the lights won't flash.

If all lights are coming on, then you need a new flasher. I have some I will give for free! Just want rid of them!

Check to see if ALL the lights are coming on. Since this is a thermal flasher, if a bulb is burned out, the lights won't flash.

If all lights are coming on, then you need a new flasher. I have some I will give for free! Just want rid of them!

yeah, all the lights work. that's something i'm really picky about, keeping all the lighting working. but i can get a flasher for free at my local junkyard, if i send my dad down to get it anyways, its his friend that owns the junkyard. but one of these days i'll get around to replacing it, i'm not to worried about cuz i really don't drive the 94 GP around to much. mainly my 94 euro is my runner, the GTP only comes out in the summer months.

Aaron

You can get an electronic, rather than a thermal flasher. They work in any temperature. The only drawback is, you can't tell if a bulb burned out by looking at the dash, tey flash the same regardless of number of bulbs.