Optimum Suspension Set Up

91GranSport

I have a '91 Regal GS with the Gran Sport suspension option. I want to replace my suspension with a better handling, more precise suspension set up. What would you recommend? I'm planning to replace all four struts/shocks and replace the front springs. I'm not sure whether or not to get the rear coilover kit from FFWD. I want to see what options I have.

BTW: My rear monoleaf spring is still good and my rear end doesn't sag so I don't mind keeping the monoleaf spring.

I have a '91 Regal GS with the Gran Sport suspension option. I want to replace my suspension with a better handling, more precise suspension set up. What would you recommend? I'm planning to replace all four struts/shocks and replace the front springs. I'm not sure whether or not to get the rear coilover kit from FFWD. I want to see what options I have.

BTW: My rear monoleaf spring is still good and my rear end doesn't sag so I don't mind keeping the monoleaf spring.

Best setup i can come up with:

* KYB GR-2's in all 4 corners, or Koni adj. rears from shox.com

* Suspention Techniques front lowering springs (JCWhitney)

* Rear FFP Coil overs

* Addco rear swaybar

* Large Front OEM swaybar (not sure if the 3800 cars had them)

* energy suspention polly sway bar bushings (Front and rear)

* RSM racing or Held motorsport Strut tower bars (Front and rear)

* Lower profile Wider tires. (235 or 245 width is good on stock rims and a 55 or a 50 series prifile)

that is the best i can think of at this point. I have everything listed except the FFP coilovers and the wider/lowprofile tires.

RedZ

Thanks guys. Say, is the Addco rear swaybar noticably stronger and larger than the OEM unit? I already have the GranSport suspension so I was thinking my OEM rear swaybar must be pretty large already. Also, will 255/50R-16s fit on my factory rims? I have the factory GranSport rims that fit 225/60R-16s. I thought the safest maximum width without camber or rubbing problems would be something around 235/50R-16. Finally, those Moog leaf spring helpers, I'm guessing that's for the rear monoleaf spring. How exactly does a leaf spring helper work? Thanks for your input guys.

I was considering waiting until the '04 Gen3 W-Body Regals come out before I replace my '91, but since it only has 170,000km and runs great I think I'll keep it until it hits around 300,000km or until '06. I plan to replace the shocks/struts at all four corners and perhaps install the coilover kit and front lowering springs. In the spring I'll do all the bodywork and have the whole vehicle completely repainted in a tri-coat pearlescent paint. During the winter I'll be working on the interior trim pieces. For now, it needs new interior trim pieces, exterior chrome trim pieces, bodywork and paint, shocks/struts and tires. By next summer everything should be ready and I'll be posting pics then. Thanks again guys!

I don't plan to go with 18 inch rims, they're a tad bit too big for me. I'm planning to purchase Konig Rated R 17x7.5 rims and Dunlop SP Sport A2

235/45HR-17 tires. I think they'll look good on the Regal without making it look too "riced out". The SP Sport A2 tires are good tires for all seasons while keeping a decent low profile.

The addco swaybar is an absolute MUST. The FE3 one just won't cut it. Drive my Z34 and then Drive my Buick and you will see the difference the addco makes. Night and Day.

-Tom