How do I swap out my gauge cluster in my TGP???

dbtk2

I got a new (used) gauge cluster for my STE on ebay because I had problems with my boost gauge not working, and my speedo & tach are both ~20% fast (don't know if thats gonna change or not with the new cluster). But anyways, does anyone on here know exactly how to swap one out? I'm sure I could probably figure it out but I would like to at least have a general idea of what I am doing before I start to swap it out.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

It's real easy. Take the dash pad off by the screws above the steering wheel. Pull up and it will come off. Then remove the headlight and wiper switches. Then the cluster bezel by 4 bolts. Then you should have access to the cluster.

Where is the screw above the glove box....I can't find it. Also, are there just the two above the steering wheel? All I can see is two, so I am assuming that is all there are???

Thanks,

Shawn

Yep, just 2 above the wheel. There may or may not be a screw above the glovebox, mine didn't, others have it though. Take off the glovebox door and use a flashlight to look up from the floor. My speedo was fast like yours and a new cluster fixed it.

So after I take the bolts out, do I just pull up on it or what? I have tried pulling up on it, but I don't want to break anything so I didn't pull too hard. I probably just need to pull it harder, but I'm not sure. Is it held in with clips like the doors or something?

Shawn

Wow, that was really easy! There was no screw in the glove box, although I could see where it was supposed to go and it appeared as though there had been one there before because there were marks where the screw would've been and I think I know why someone removed the pad before (more on that in a minute). Once I got the pad off I didn't even have to take off the light & wiper assembly, I just unbolted the 4 bolts for the gauge cluster, unplugged it, and pulled it up vertically, then put the new one in the same way. The only problem with doing it that way is you have to push in the trip reset button so that the cluster clears the light/wiper assembly or else the cluster WILL NOT go in or come out. (of course I found that out the hard way)

It was very simple and straight forward, and hopefully the new cluster isn't as inaccurate as the old one. I would go out and test it, but there is no radiator in the car... The trouble lights and dash lights work and all the gauges move to 0 when I turn the key on (except for the fuel, oil pressure, and temperature gauges which go where they should).

However, when I had the dash pad off I noticed that there were no front speakers under there. Now I am not 100% sure if there are supposed to be some there, but I am pretty sure there are supposed to be some. There is no wiring, or mounting holes or anything that suggests that speakers even belong there...so my question is, do speakers belong there?

Thanks for all the help,

Shawn