New To Site, have a question about my Lumina Euro

No_Quarter

Hello,

I recently bought a 93 Lumina Euro to use as a daily driver. The car is in excellent shape with 58K miles. One thing is bothering me. I am hearing a whining noise coming from the tranny (4 sp auto). It only makes the noise in neutral & 1st gear. 2nd, 3rd,OD & reverse are fine. Its not that noticeable, but it bothers me. Apart from the noise the tranny is fine, it shifts very smooth. I changed the tranny fluid and filter, no difference. Any one else experience this? Thanks allot!

-alex

My 94 Euro does this to. These transmissions are very picky and temper mental. Its just one of those things that you gotta get used to. Mine has 115,000 on her and still shifts great. I think the tranny was on the rag or something for the month of August, it was acting up every now and then, but now its fine, who knows? :roll: But if you do some research, you'll find that these "whining" noises are completly normal.

Aaron

My 94 Euro does this to. These transmissions are very picky and temper mental. Its just one of those things that you gotta get used to. Mine has 115,000 on her and still shifts great. I think the tranny was on the rag or something for the month of August, it was acting up every now and then, but now its fine, who knows? :roll: But if you do some research, you'll find that these "whining" noises are completly normal.

Aaron

Thanks for the reply Aaron. Your car looks very clean.

Well that’s what radios are for I guess, to drown out unhealthy mechanical noises. Does any one know the average cost of having this tranny rebuilt? I want to be know in the event of a total meltdown.

Thanks

-alex

After having transmission rebuilt/repaired first time (would stay stuck in OD when coming to a stop, $1300) the tranny then started making a whining noise, just got used to it cause it ran fine. Second tranny repair (2yrs later another $1000, not sure what was wrong - I was not driving it then) whining still there. Now close to 153k and shifting fine, knock on wood, but driving it extra gently now...

I've got a 90 Eurosport at 197,xxx miles with original tranny. It acts up every once in a great while and sometimes it seems likes its starting to slip but it hasn't ever given me real trouble. I'm still waiting for it to go out one of these days.

ive got 170k on mine and with the orig trans, only makes a little whine in 1st....Im waiting for it to break ever since I changed the original trans fluid at 90k (im the 2nd owner) so far everything else is breaking LOL