When should i expect my engine to start burning oil?

Nick1234

I now iave 105,000 miles on my 3.1. I take pretty good care of my car, change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, clean out basic parts etc., I don't push the motor too hard, take her up 5500 rpms 2 or 3 times every 280 miles, or a tank of gas to clean her out, but i was wondering how long she will last until i can expect to start blowing some blue smoke and have to add oil. The car hasn't been abused at all during its entire life either. Also, how long does the 4t-60E tranny last also? Any info or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much

Nick

I now iave 105,000 miles on my 3.1. I take pretty good care of my car, change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, clean out basic parts etc., I don't push the motor too hard, take her up 5500 rpms 2 or 3 times every 280 miles, or a tank of gas to clean her out, but i was wondering how long she will last until i can expect to start blowing some blue smoke and have to add oil. The car hasn't been abused at all during its entire life either. Also, how long does the 4t-60E tranny last also? Any info or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much

Nick

My 92 has 180K on it clock and it doesn't burn any. It does leak out of the rear valve cover gasket but it does not burn any.

I had 220k on my '90 Cutlass 3.1. Always drove it hard, changed the oil every 3500, replaced leaky gaskets when it needed it (valve cover, oil pump drive) would you believe that even before I donated it, I'd put 4.5 quarts of oil in, after 3500 miles 4.5 quarts would come out (I had measurements on the side of this bucket I had) unbelieveable. Original head gaskets, rings, bearings, etc. Pretty badass motor. Don't worry about burning oil after xxx amount of miles, these aren't nissans :)

These engines are not expected to burn oil. That's just not something they do. 200k miles, 250k miles, 300k miles... usually something else will go first before they ever start to burn oil.

If you find one that burns oil, it was a freak thing. Either the owner didn't take care of it, or some other freak thing earlier on led up to it. They are not ticking time bombs like 80's and early 90's Chrysler minivans.

these aren't nissans

W3RD...my Nissan burned a quart a week...beat that :lol:

They are not ticking time bombs like 80's and early 90's Chrysler minivans

don't forget the 96 and up ones with Mitsubishi Engines...70 grand and it burns oil and knocks like a mofo

but anyways...like everyone else said if you start losing oil...look everywhere else before you assume it's burning in these engines

my tranny seems fine also...just make sure you keep the tranny fluid fresh...mine needs changed but isn't causing me any problems

don't forget the 96 and up ones with Mitsubishi Engines...70 grand and it burns oil and knocks like a mofo

only problem we've had to 180k now on my dad's 97 with the mitsu 3.0 is transmissions. on its 3rd rebuild. we just changed out the original timing belt, p/s pump, and water pump a few weeks ago. the engine, however, is retarded, with the water pump being behind a big steel mount plate requiring the removal of all the accessories, and its driven by the timing belt

We had a '96 Caravan that we bought new with the 3.3L, and with around 40k on it it started to knock like no other. It still seemed to run good, and it still ran the same when we sold it in '02 with like 95,000 miles on it. It used about a half quart of oil between changes by that time also. But suprisingly the tranny never gave out, and we beat the shit out of it too.

Out of our 6 GM cars, 3 with 3800's and 3 with 3.1/3100's none of them use any oil that I know of. The '02 GTP doesn't leak or burn any with 22,700 miles on it. The '00 SSEi with 95,000 miles on it doesn't burn any but leaks a little out of the valve covers. The '95 Beretta Z26 doesn't leak or burn any with 95,000 miles on it. The '93 Olds 88 with 119,000 miles doens't burn any, but it leaks a small amount out of the valve covers. The 2 door TGP doesn't leak or burn any with 116,500 on it. The TSTE doesn't burn any that I know of, but it leaks some somewhere (about a half quart between changes) but I can't find where, and it has 100,200 miles on it.

So based on that, I would say you shouldn't expect it to start leaking anything. I know ours don't have a lot of miles on them, but they don't have low mileage either. Our old '92 Olds 88 didn't leak or burn anything the whole time we had it, and we bought it with 10k on it and sold it with 193,000 miles on it.

You have nothing to worry about.

Shawn

I know that my friends 92 CS int with 3.4 DOHC doesnt burn oil but when he gives more gas it spits oil on all the cars behind him leaving a nice smell of burned oil, so that car before it burned it, it all was spit out of two exhausts. :lol: timing belt on his car 109k and still original and he abuses his car and still runs but probably i will buy it off of him this spring for 400$ for parts for my.

• 1 month later...