ABS woes.. :(

crc

I've pretty much had it with the Powermaster III in my car. I would love to just rip this thing out and put in the simple non-ABS master cylinder. If it wasn't the wheels sensors it was ABS controller. If it wasn't the controller it was the o-ring on the accumulator. If it wasn't the o-ring it was the friggin solonoid seals in the interior of the PM. argghh! Having worked on this thing for the past 2 months I have now taking it apart down to the smallest pieces.

Ok, I admit that GM did get better at designing these things in later generation cars (just look at the bulk of the PM III) but what I would like to know is if it's possible to take out the PM and put in something else? One of the most frustrating things is I've had zero luck in finding 1st gen w-bodies in scrapyards with PM III. Tons, and tons of non-abs cars but apparently not too many were made with the first generation ABS (this coming from a couple of longtime yard managers I've talked to) They say the Powermaster III is gone as soon as a car equipped with it is brought in to the lot. damn...

I know you can get refurbished PM's for about $500 but that's still too damn much.. I'm not even sure if you get a newly charged accumulator with it.

Someone on this forum mentioned they replaced their PM III.. I'm wondering what the person spent?

Guest Anonymous

I just replaced mine. $485.56 plus $100 core charge. Shipping is included.

It's pretty much plug and play. All you have to do is bleed each wheel and then the PM III itself.

Oh yeah, you need to use your wiring on the new one also.