Try out a Flex-a-Form rear leaf!!!!!

Heza

hey hey...this is a follow-up for my last posting on the subject that everyone else except me (seemingly) has given up on! i guess no one really wants that high rear end down at all...personally i think it's ugly.

anyway...i called George Smolen from here in Iraq using my special communications privliges with my squadron and talked to him about the long anticipated/mysterious rear leaf he said he was working on. well, its done...urethane bushings and all and all necessary hardware. i told him there was a good potential for customers because many W-body owners were curious and wanting of such a product instead of using the questionable coilover setup. however, people wanted to see how it looked before anyone bought it. he didnt have pictures and i told him i would trial it on my car so you all could see, but wouldnt be home for another month or so. and this is what he said,

"well, get a hold of one of your buddies and tell them that i will send them one."

he also said he can make it to any ride height you seek. he said currently it is about a 2" drop, but can be changed. someone has to take him up on this offer! then everyone can see what it looks like and the included hardware. it would only be considerate since he did this after being asked to make one for so long!

i'll do it... i need a new rear leaf anyhow for the tgp since mine is cracked... what needs to be done?

I have a set of Coil-overs on the way which should be ready for install in a month or 2. I could do a real comparison between the two that way. :twisted: :D

called him and he said he already has someone there doing the testing for him. hopefully that means there will be pictures available and such for everyone to look at. He didn't really seem like he wanted to send me one. :(

called him and he said he already has someone there doing the testing for him. hopefully that means there will be pictures available and such for everyone to look at. He didn't really seem like he wanted to send me one. :(

well shit...i dont know what to think then. he told me what he told me and that pisses me off. well, whoever that "somebody" is, there better be some pictures out of it or im gonna be well-done pissed and have to call him back.

Heh, I would have done it, I have a leaf spring tool already and everything. Oh well. How much was he charging for this "demo" spring?

i have no idea...he didnt give me that info. he said he could "send" a spring to try out, but didnt mention anything else. just to have someone get a hold of him. id trial it on my car if i were home...if only i were home! but....i plan on bidding on the '96 GP Special Edition that i listed in the auctions section...that doesnt need a leaf. my '94 does though!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

The CEO of Flex-A-Form told me that it would be 2 weeks til He could ship the spring. So if I don't get it by the end of this week. I will call him back.

I will be doing a how to write up with pictures on how to install this product .

I'll keep in touch.

Guest TurboSedan

The TDC's haven't warpped your rear uni-body yet????

have they warped anyones uni-body yet? that's a myth IMO, i have yet to hear from anyone who has coilovers that caused any damage. i've had mine on for about 60,000+ hard miles now, and everything seems great. i pull the wheels off on a regular basis and check everything closely, but never see any signs of damage.

the reason i hate them is because 1) i'm worried about alignment after changing the ride height (?) 2) noisy over some bumps ecspecially while turning up a driveway etc, and 3) by far the biggest reason i hate my coilovers is because that stupid 'set' screw that keeps the adjuster nut from turning and changing the ride height. i made sure not to overtighten that screw and it still stripped out on both sides. so, in order to change the rear ride height on my car i have to use 2 pipe wrenches just so i can turn the adjuster screw :cuss: i could fix it by drilling the old set screw out, and retapping the adjuster screw for a bigger set screw, but screw it, i've had it with coilovers.

joshua

is changing to a new leaf spring that is supposed to lower my car really worth the $$$ and trouble when the azz sags already? If I changed up would the ride height change from what it is now? I sure don't want it any lower than it is.

From what I understand, the Flex-a-form leaf is supposed to lower the rear 1 1/2 to 2" for STOCK RIDE HEIGHT... So depending on how much your factory spring is "sagging" it may raise or lower the car from it's present position.

I think Flex-a-form will custom make you a spring to suit the ride height you desire if you call them and custom order one. They could probably even produce a lifting spring for those people who tow heavy loads (Or maybe have 600 Lbs of boombox equipment in the trunk??) :wink: :lol:

• 1 month later...

The thing I'm wondering about the coilover suspension is that the monoleaf is also part of the structure. Im not seeing how thoses two light little trailing arms are tough enough and certainly the light and long suspension arms and tiny bushings and narrow mountings dont cover much to keep wheels where they are supposed to be.

I know I could box or further beef up the trailing arm but does everybody do this ? Its still a small bushing and not much holding the wheels in place compared to the old GM 4 link suspensions. They were 4 links with probably 4-5 times the strength apiece. I realize these cars are smaller but I believe the monoleaf is the strongest structural part of the W suspension.

You take that monoleaf out of there and theres just those 3 cheezy sheet metal arms locating each tire how will they react is the going gets dicey ?

My Regal is now sinking in the back, which I dont mind but the ride quality is bad too. Like it doesnt travel smoothly. So Im wondering how the coilovers ride and handle ? I mean do they turn the car into a hopping robin ? Too firm or lack of travel really doesnt improve handling on typical not so smooth back roads.

I was also looking and didnt see why refabrication the seat locations for the monoleaf couldnt give a drop of at least one inch with stock ride and suspension travel.

You can get upgraded trailing arms. The tubular ones designed as a GM Performance upgrade for the 97-03 Grand Prix will work on a first gen.

The suspension arms are probably big enough. I don't think the 95-99 Monte/Lumina suspension arms were all that much beefier. If they are, I THINK they may transplant over anyway. Not sure on that though.

Everything else can be beefed up for coilovers. My only concern is metal fatigue, warping, or stress fractures in the unibody strut towers themselves since they are very thin metal and not much else to them. It seems they were not designed to do anything more than support the damping forces of the struts. However, the only people who have reported coilover issues and unibody problems have never shown any proof to back it up. In fact, they vague descriptions I've heard of coilover problems also sounded more like strut rods punching through rotted out upper strut mounts, which could happen to any car with bad upper mounts.

Yes, refabrication of the leaf spring seat location certainly could give a 1" drop and may be the most inexpensive (but not necessarily the easiest) way to go.

The rear suspension on our cars is total bullshit. RSM bushings wont save this pile...so sad. The mono leaf is another POS that needs to be burned in hell for every being used on our cars. I pulled the rear subframe off the parts car so I can clean it up and use it onthe cutlass. The trailing arms...joke. GMPP ones look much nicer and are probably all most people will need. The laterals are enough to make baby jesus cry. Mankind let jesus down on these. Ive bent 2, ive talked to a few others that bent them, and the parts car has 1 bent. No I didnt offroad that poor bastard, they just suck. GM newer version might work but I need one for testing (ok 1 of each, but at 40 bucks a pop GM can bend over and fuck themselves with it).

After cutting up the 92 GP, I too would want to reinforce the rear of the car for coil overs, or just stock. I think the rear glass is the most structural support we have for the rear.