rear brake conversion, need specs

phantomFE3

im gonna do the newer rear brakes on my phantom and i need to know what cars had the brakes ai need and everything i need to do it, ill buy brand new rotors and pads so i wont need those, so will i just need the caliper and the mounting bracket? and if i get them at the junkyard, should i check to see if the new ones are frozen up or are they pretty good about staying in working order? and just any general info and this, thanks alot

Guest Anonymous

'94-'96 CS, Regal, and Grand Prix have them for sure. You need the calipers, brackets, all bolts, and the clips that go in the brackets that hold the pads. You will also have to bend your brake lines slightly to get them to mount to the new calipers.

Guest TurboSedan

the only thing you MUST get from the j/y is the caliper brackets and the bolts. you should be able to get the rest of the parts new. i'm using j/y calipers also and have no problem with them. if you use j/y calipers just inspect the caliper for wear ecspecially the piston boot for deterioration/cracks. it would be a good idea to re-grease the slider bolts also. rotors and pads were really cheap, and the installation was easy. i used the brake hoses from the '95 Regal i got my brakes from, and didn't have to bend the lines; altho the hose bracket doesn't mount to my frame flush. a couple seconds with a grinder would fix that but i never did and its been workin' fine for almost 2 years now. unfortunately the e-brake can be kind of tricky, but if you have an automatic it shouldn't be too big of a big deal. i have a manual and i still have no e-brake lol. i think the best part of the '94+ rear brake swap is the ease of changing pads. i didn't notice much of an increase in braking performance but it's gotta be better somewhat. and of course, the '94+ calipers aren't prone to seizing like the '88-'93 variety. good luck

joshua