Would it Work? -- Gauge Cluster Swap

bluegp

Would an instrument panel from a OBD-I equipped car work in an OBD-II equipped car? I'm getting a '96 Lumina; it's got the base cluster. I don't know if I like the optional cluster for these cars either (it lacks oil & volts gauges). I have a cluster out of a Beretta with all the gauges (I know - it won't fit as is & the connectors are different). ...Just dreaming.

I'm also wondering if the current model Impala SS & Monte Carlo SS gauge cluster would have any chance of working (once again, I know - it won't fit as is & the connectors are different). Now that is a nice piece.

You most likely have issue since the components of the L-Body cluster are NOT calibrated to W-Body sensors.

Find a Monte Carlo (Gen1.5) cluster and it'll work the best then your other ideas.

- Erik

I'll bet the Monte and Impala SS are like my truck... all gauges operate on Class 2 serial data... if that's the case, they won't work in your Lumina.

That's what I was thinking - the cluster has those digital displays. The RDS radio connects to that too, correct? I don't fully understand what the Class 2 serial data is. Are there any links for info or can you briefly descibe it?

Thanks

Class2 serial data is what replaced ALDL. It's a faster protocol and has more info on it. I think it's also a bit more standardized. All ODB-II cars have a Class2 serial data bus. Some older cars like the 97-03 Grand Prix also still have a DLC serial data bus in addition to Class2. DLC is basically the same as our old ALDL serial bus.

I don't know the specifics on Class2, but I know lots of data can be sent on it. BCM's communicate with PCM's through Class2. The radio on a lot of newer GM cars also communicates on the Class2 bus, and the cluster does too. The HUD on the 04+ Grand Prix's also gets all of its data from Class2. Some cars like the 03+ Silverado has almost NO conventional wiring. All functions are controlled by separate computer modules that communicate via Class2. For instance, each door has its own computer module and Class2 serial data tells the BCM what's going on in the doors so it knows if a door is open, locked, not locked, and can control the domelights accordingly.