1993 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC What Should Oil Pressure Be?Gauge no #'s

Petes93cutlass

I have a 1993 Cutlass Supreme convertible with the 3.4 DOHC engine. I change oil religiously every 3,000 miles. Upon a cold start, the oil pressure needle is about a 1/4 inch above the second hash mark. When I say second hash mark. If you could pretend that the oil gauge was the fuel gauge it would show a quarter inch more than a quarter tank left upon startup and stays on the quarter mark when idling hot. I know its acceptable for these engines to have 15psi when idling hot. Well, my question is, the gauge is not numbered so you really don't know the true oil pressure unless you put a mechanical gauge on it. Does anyone have an idea of how much oil pressure is when its at the quarter mark?

IIRC, the center is considered "60psi". So half of that is considered 30.

If I was you, I would look into changing the oil pump or oil pressure sender. It may be bad.

I would get an actual oil pressure gauge, hook it up and see what the oil pressures are at different temperatures. That will let you know if its the sender unit or an actual oil pressure problem. The gauge is more of a yes or no indicator from factory, I hope to replace it one day with an actual gauge.