TGP fueling issue

Gibby

Alright guys, slowly but surely making this a nice daily driver, I have one issue that just wont stay down though...

Bought the car with 112000, replaced fuel filter right away. Fast forward to 120000 miles, car would sputter and die at idle, if I kept a little throttle it would stay running, ran great at cruze and WOT. So on a whim I replaced the fuel regulator, also found it had miss-matched injectors at that time so I replaced those with yellow tops.

Car ran great after that, fast forward to 124000 miles, car starts sputtering and dying at idle again, still good at cruze and WOT. Friend and I put a fuel pressure gauge on it, read just under 30 psi with key on, book says 41-47. So we replaced fuel regulator again. Problem is once again fixed. Ok cool maybe just got bad regulator first time.

Fast forward to 126000 miles, problem is back, have not checked fuel pressure again, but it has same exact symptoms still drives fine but sputters and dies at idle. Starting to think fuel pump is on its last leg and maybe it isnt the regulator at all.. Any ideas??

Thanks, Luke

to be fair, the stock TGP calibrations were all right on the edge of being unacceptable on a factory fresh car.

add in a lot of wear/tear/time and i can see redone calibrations being a requirement rather than a suggestion.

Has flybynite tune in it. Ordered fuel pump, guess we will see what happens!:thumbsup:

I got one too. Good news is you can still adjust tables and stuff since you have that chip now.

Tunerpro. IT's a computer app that's similar to HP Tuners. The OBD1 to USB Cable is $50, but it's worth more than some scanner that can only read codes. The only thing better than TP is a Tech1 scanner... and those aren't easy to find.

When you did the fuel pump, did you replace the pulsator in the fuel tank that connects the pump to the whole sending unit assembly?

The service manual says to remove the pulsator, shake it, and if you hear any liquid, replace it. Apparently they break down over time internally.

Just a thought. I had a lot of cold start issues over the past few years which I believe were due to a leaking pulsator/pump pulse dampener.

In addition to the fuel pump, you'll need the fuel pump strainer as well when you're ordering stuff.

edit: sputters and dies at idle is weird. Tried making sure the IAC is working properly/clean and related passages are clean?

Edited by pitzel

I did not replace the pulsator. Checked throttle cable today, looked good. Replaced vac modulator only to cause more issues than before ( wouldnt shift) So put stock one back in. Gonna go pull some sensors from the yard today. On a side note, anyone need parts from a nearly mint STE??? One just showed up here...

I did not replace the pulsator. Checked throttle cable today, looked good. Replaced vac modulator only to cause more issues than before ( wouldnt shift) So put stock one back in. Gonna go pull some sensors from the yard today. On a side note, anyone need parts from a nearly mint STE??? One just showed up here...

If it has the security lighting headlight switch, I'd take that.

Also, are you just having idle issues? Have you checked your fuel pressure at the rails?

Can you explain what that switch is? I didnt see this post before I went but I live 5 miles away, car is in pretty good shape but somebody puked in the back seats, smells god awful in there...

Just checked fuel pressure today after pump replacement, looks good. Drove to yard, pulled a TPS, and an IAC, and another vac modulator. Got in car to drive home and all issues are gone, runs great no idle problems, nothing... Its the devils work.

PM me a shipped price. I'll paypal the money to you. Should fit in a medium flat rate box for $11.30. Let me know. Thanks, Luke.