trailing arm mounts...repair or scrap car?

1990lumi

i have a 90 lumina coupe base model and the rear trailing arm mounts are starting to rust away they are still solid but are getting bad is it worth fixing this (cutting the old mount out and making my own and welding it all up) or should i say goodbye to the old girl

cost to repair vs cost to replace the vehicle

you'll probably be further ahead to repair it unless there are other serious issues.

If that's the only issue with the car, I'd say fix it. If there's other known issues, might wanna look into another car.

Sent from my iPhone

I had a weld shop do one of mine, it was literally seperated from the car. It only cost $100 and this was 3 months or so ago. One thing that hurts them quick is a warped rotor, usually caused by a stuck caliper.

only other major thing wrong with her atm is a oil leak "either valve cover or intake gasket" and for rear warped rotors i dont have to worry about that :P the calipers stuck awhile ago so i pulled the calipers off so no rear brakes atm

only other major thing wrong with her atm is a oil leak "either valve cover or intake gasket" and for rear warped rotors i dont have to worry about that :P the calipers stuck awhile ago so i pulled the calipers off so no rear brakes atm

That's one of the more frightening posts I've ever read, oil leaking fire hazard with compromised braking ability? No offence but it's things like this that make me appreciate PA State inspection, it's a pain in the ass sometimes but my kids are riding with me most of the time and it's reassuring to know most of the cars around us are sound-ish.

the oil leak just started last week its not like it has been going on for a year and for the brakes night fury is right lol my brakes still lock up and i stop when i go to the floor with them but i will be replacing the calipers/pads and rotors in the rear soon also

Oh lets not pretend 88-93 rear W-body brakes did anything anyways.

when i did the 94+ swap on the 90GP, it wasn't that big of a change for me..... the only reason i did so was because one of the calipers started shooting fluid out of the arm that the e-brake cable attaches to.

we've driven that car with no front brakes before to get home and it still stopped relatively well. as long as the calipers don't stick and they don't shoot fluid out of them, they do well enough.

If the pads wear they're doing something. I'd like to upgrade but not because I feel the performance is lacking. I'm not fond of the E-brakes.

Keep in mind, also, if that car is involved in an accident, and an investigation ensues, and the missing brakes are noticed, in all likelihood, you WILL be sued, whether the missing brakes were a factor, or not.

That's one of the more frightening posts I've ever read, oil leaking fire hazard with compromised braking ability? No offence but it's things like this that make me appreciate PA State inspection, it's a pain in the ass sometimes but my kids are riding with me most of the time and it's reassuring to know most of the cars around us are sound-ish.

Yeah...I'd get those rear brakes on ASAP. Not good to be rolling around like that. But...aside from the brakes and the valve cover gaskets it sounds like it would be a pretty easy/cheap fix.

94-96 rear brakes on the 88 made a HUGE difference. They'll actually lock up before the front wheels now, making for some interesting ass end kick out on panic stops :lol:

Find a small welding shop and get a quote. Quotes are free, if everything works out I'll be having one done here soon, found a 1998 SSEI with every option including a sunroof and leather interior, black on black with X-laces! It needs a trailing arm pocket repaired so we're getting it for next to nothing.