Clunking in Reverse

urbex

Alright, I'm stumped. The Lumina has been making a clunking noise when I shift into reverse. Well, not when I shift, but once I start to move after shifting. It only does it after I shift into reverse, and I can get it to do with with my foot on the brake and pressing the accelerator as well. It drives fine, shifts fine and smooth, and makes no noise whatsoever when shifting as I'm driving. It's only one clunk after it starts to move in gear. The motor mount is only a couple years old, the CV axle was just replaced, as was the trans mount. The dog bone mounts are original, but the noise seems to be coming from the trans itself. You can tell the noise is coming from the drivers side.

Anyone have any other ideas or things I should look for?

Hmmm not 100% sure what it could be though maybe it is the cv axle. I too get a clunk/pop noise out of my Lumina in the same situation. Also clunks again after putting it in drive after backing up. Almost like whatever direction it 'clunked' in reverse it 'clunks' back in the other direction. Mine too is coming from the drivers side. I replaced the CV axle about a year and a half ago(had a bad CV boot and I just picked up a new axle), was a 'new' one(not a reman). Still have the old (original to the car) one, I'm thinking it might possibly be the source of my clunk. Tempted to re-CV-boot it and toss it back on and see if the noise goes away.

Edited by LumiLTZ

Yeah, occasionally it will do it in drive, but not nearly as often. I just replaced the cv axle last night and it still does it.

If you end up replacing the boot on your original one let me know how it goes. I'd be interested to see if it makes a difference. The axle I bought was a new one as well, but I warrantied it out for another one yesterday and it's still making the noise. It wasn't making it when I initially replaced it, but started a few months after.

Edited by urbex

The ball joints and tie rod ends on that side both seem fine and are about a year old. Using a stethoscope it makes the most noise on the axle, like it's maybe coming from the trans, but it's really hard to tell. I can't see anything hitting, although the upper mounts are the only ones that are still original. I think I may try replacing those and seeing if that improves anything.

Upper mounts look to be ok. We looked it over good at work today, and it appears that the noise is either coming from the hub, or the transmission. Considering the hub is less than a year old (and the noise wasn't any different before or after I had it off this weekend), I'm guessing the trans itself is making the noise. Well I guess 180k isn't bad for it. I suppose at this point I'll just see how long until it decides to kill itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Had it all apart again last night and was checking things over. For some reason I tried to duplicate the noise without the caliper/bracket on, and guess what? No noise. I wouldn't have thought a caliper would cause it, but who knows…. I guess I'll see about warrantying out the caliper (since I had just bought it last fall), and see if that takes care of it. I sure hope so!

I have no idea either… Both the caliper and bracket were replaced with AC Delco back in September. Everything seemed and felt tight, but I'm not sure if something must have just been moving or what. I've had it apart and back together quite a few times, and the noise hansn't changed…just when it was off, it was silent. All I know is I'd much rather replace a caliper than a trans, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.