2002 GTP - CV Axle Failure

Stevo

Hey folks. Just how long should a standard CV axle last? Can a new transmission cause premature CV axle failure? Mechanically I think these things SHOULD last the life of the car given proper maintenance under regular use. Car has 184000km / 114000miles. I had to replace one that grenaded. CV_Grenaded.jpg I replaced my control arms with new ones from MEVOTECH and the tires went on my car due to the change geometry being off so much. I wonder if somehow the control arms are forcing the joints on the CV axle apart and thus inducing some kind of premature or accelerated wear. Anyone have such an issue?

I know at one time I had to have the either the LCAs totally replaced or the bushings. I never lost a CV. I'm guessing the LCA had bad wear issues which caused the tires to wear bad and probably made the CV run out and made it fail.

I've had many CV axle failures. Both bad on my '84 Pontiac 6000, gobbed Crisco in the boots and kept on truckin till we scrapped it. My Festivas have all needed them. My 04 Comp G Grand Prix needed both, they made it shudder really bad on the highway. I just recently had one on my 88 replaced as well.

They just by design are under a lot of stress. I ain't even mad.

Both of mine are shooting grease :mad::mad::mad: Driver's side I replaced last fall, and now I think the outer boot is bad. Passenger side inner boot is bad as well. FML

What failed Stevo?

I only had 1 suffer some damage- one of the three needle bearings on the inner joint had no needles left in it after a 25PSI boost run. Made the engine shake sideways under load but got me home.

The inner spider separated to the point that the axle exiting the transmission spun free inside the boot.

I replaced the whole axle with a new one.

Now the driver side axle has grease all over the place meaning it's gonna go although it isn't making noise.

When I put new struts on the car a year ago. I had it aligned and the shop told me they had a real problem getting it aligned. I am wondering if the control arms I put in the year before that had geometry issues. They are MEVOTECH and I am getting the impression that perhaps there is some negative wheel camber being introduced which wore down the inside of both tires.

Anyone have issues with MEVOTECH control arms and alignments?

I found out that I could use a driver's side axle on the passenger side with my Getrag 282. you might be able to use one too. Just put it in without tightening the axle nut and push in and out to see how much play you have with the car on the ground. I have about 5/8".

My old 98 3100 lumina had the stock cv's at 191k no noise no slop or play,boots looks very good.

and this car was BEAT On +HARD by the county of san bernardino ca, desert drving hitting all kinds of shit..... and not one damn then ever went wrong with the cv's or the LIM's or the tranny. BUILT CHEVY TOUGH? i'd say so lol!

hope my babied grandma 97 lumina lasts as trouble free!