Ditching my Lq1

drifty

Hey guys, I just came over from the grand prix forums, this summer I am swapping in an l67 into my 95 GTP. I am wondering if I will be able to keep my current hud and info center (tripometer, gas mileage, etc) or if I will have to swap these out from the donor car?

:thumbsup: You mean that guy?

Yeah, So he wants to swap his engine. Unless you have something to contribute to it this is the wrong section of the forum to whine about his choice.

No one's mentioned it . . . you might already know, you might not. I think that you need a wiring harness from a 1998-99 Lumina LTZ, Monte Carlo Z34 to do this (3800 Lumina/Monte). And I think that even with a '96 DIC, you may get nothing but distance travelled, times and outdoor temp with the new engine. The DIC from the 2nd Gen Grand Prix's fits in really nicely you might be able to get that to do something competent.

Basically what Rich said, I'd venture that more then likely the DIC won't really work for most things. however if you use the PCM from a 97-02 GP GT it would have the right data streams to use a 97-03 DIC in the cubby above the radio. with a little creativity they will fit.

Actually 97-03 gp dics are bcm controlled, already tried that route. I have a 99 gtp pcm in my monte no luck. My buddies 98 gp has a 98 lumina pcm and his dic works

Basically what Rich said, I'd venture that more then likely the DIC won't really work for most things. however if you use the PCM from a 97-02 GP GT it would have the right data streams to use a 97-03 DIC in the cubby above the radio. with a little creativity they will fit.

Alright guys calm it down. We are all w-body people here....The l67 is just easier to work with in my opinion. Back onto the matter at hand.....basically I should drop the dic. I don't want anything taking up dash space that isn't fully functional. L67SS, thank you for your help on this across both boards.

No prob. I recently completed an l67 swap myself :)

Alright guys calm it down. We are all w-body people here....The l67 is just easier to work with in my opinion. Back onto the matter at hand.....basically I should drop the dic. I don't want anything taking up dash space that isn't fully functional. L67SS, thank you for your help on this across both boards.

Not adding much that hasn't been said, but the best way to make this swap as easy as possible is getting the whole subframe from a 1998-2000 Lumina or Monte Carlo with the 3800 AND the 4T65HD trans. This also includes wiring, and you will need to swap things on the GPs C100 pinout. You may be able to use the same trans axles from the Lumina/Monte Carlo since it's still 1G (1.5 to be technical), but you will need an S/C PCM. You can get this from a Regal, Grand Prix, or 2000-2005 Impala/Monte Carlo. L67SS says he didn't swap the trans, but I wouldn't trust the NON HD trans with the L67 since with power like that, you'll want to actually use the engine instead of keeping it way below 3000 rpm, but that's just me, I know Im the type to shame a ricer.

As far as your speedo and DIC, you have to bridge your current electronics with the OBD2 PCM OR you can do a full OBD2 swap using a 96 GP. The hardest thing of the swap is the electronics... getting everything to work. I think the easiest way to get most of your functionality back would be to use your current stuff but somehow trick the GP's current computer into using the OBD2 stuff for the DIC... something along those lines. I'm blanking out so I'm just trying to give you an idea. I know someone has made a OBD1 and OBD2 amalgam to keep all functions, I just forget who/what. I do recall it being a 95 Cutlass L67 swap.

Wish i had more thumbs so i could ur l67 swap four thumbs up ;)

Use your big toes.

@nas-you should see how i drive my car lol. And my toes scare small children and old ladies ;)

How often are you redlining and/or at wide open throttle?

Lets put it this way....in the general area i run around theres black marks at every stopsign, light gas station and walmart(and now mcdonalds) that match my car :). I hammer it everywhere i go :)

How often are you redlining and/or at wide open throttle?