2000 Grand Prix Battery Ground Locations

Magnetoresistive

Short form: before I go rolling around in the snow in -4 degree weather, can anyone tell me offhand where the two ground wires coming off the negative battery post go?

Long form: I was driving the GP last night, stopped, shut it off, came back 2 minutes later, and had no power, zero, none, nothing. I got a jump - off the frame and the jump point - and the car worked fine. Shut it off, dead. Threw a charger on it, and the battery is fine. Ran around with the multitester, and narrowed it down to the ground connection. Connecting the negative battery terminal to the frame gives me power again. :thumbsup: But now I need to figure out why the existing ground connections aren't good, and it's damned cold here and I'd rather not roll around under the car any more than I have to. ;) I checked search, and Google, but didn't have any luck: anyone here know offhand where those leads go, or have any other suggestions for things I should check before I rewire the ground?

Thanks!

It sucks here too so I'm not going out to check, lol but if memory serves me the ground stayed on my 96 when I did the engine swap, I believe mine is on the heavy "frame portion" if we can call it that right below the battery. Mine has the battery on the driver's side and is a generation below yours but GM engineers being creatures of habit probably did something similar on yours, should see it with the hood raised. Personally I'd pick up a prefab ground cable with a lug on the end and run it to a dogbone bolt or something up high and make it right when the weather permits. Sorry to be vague.

That's superb! And I tracked back the URL and I find another extremely useful website: thank you!

I did track the problem down today, and for the benefit of people searching later: some monkey (not me, just this once) put the battery's ground connector back together wrong. Instead of running the post through the "loop" of the battery cable terminal, the top of the terminal just rested against the post, and the big black boot covered the error. I've yet to work out exactly how to put boot, post, and terminal together in the right order, but by removing the boot, I was able to correctly terminate the ground, and everything works perfectly now.

On my car I put the wire in the boot, then pushed (while turning) the stud through both the boot and wire. Eventually after enough cussing and name calling, it'll pop through.