defflepp1

ok so some of you may have read about the problems that i have been having with my 1994 3.4 Euro, specifically the smoking. well today i decided to take it for a drive anyway, and it appears as though all it was, was an accumulation of coolant from the intake gasket job. because after driving it a good 30 minutes it stopped smoking, temp gauge never got above half way, coolant still in reservoir and after it had cooled down i checked the radiator and it was still full. so now that i have problem sorted i can attempt to address the other issues.

1- its not idling correctly. it drops way down(about 400-500) chugs and wants to die. any slight pressure on the throttle and it will rev up to about 2000 then slowly come down. i have checked for vacuum leaks(carb cleaner method) and found nothing. i have noticed that if i unplug the IAC that the rev up problem goes away, so believe that is at least part of the problem. is there anyway to test an IAC? like with a volt meter?

2-brake pedal is hard. it still stops ok, its just that there is almost no pedal travel, and i can't press is hard enough to perform a "panic stop" or activate the ABS.

any help on these problems would be greatly appreciated

It sounds like the two problems are related. First thing I'd look at is the vacuum line that connects at the back of the plenum, and runs to the power brake booster. Sounds like a large vacuum leak, maybe in that area, which would also lead to the hard pedal. Or, the booster itself is leaking... That line has a tendency to collect oil, and gets pretty hot--I had to replace mine due to hard pedal caused by the hose being so soft, the line was collapsing.

2-brake pedal is hard. it still stops ok, its just that there is almost no pedal travel, and i can't press is hard enough to perform a "panic stop" or activate the ABS.

Faulty brake booster. Common problem. Seems to be the root cause of all the "first gen brakes suck" complaints.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/32510-Hard-brake-pedal-no-stopping-power?

If the IAC has never been changed its over due. IIRC the service manual for a `94 Cutlass `Vert with the same engine says to replace every 100k miles. If you haven't cleaned you EGR valve that could help to.