Convertible Pump stuck in up position and photo of original sales sticker

sd832

Hi All,

First post, long time lurker. I fixed a door handle on my white/black/white '94 thanks to this forum.

It all started a while ago where my convertible top would randomly not go up/down and get stuck halfway. Then the next day it would work fine.

Now the pump will not turn off (unless the car is off) and is stuck constantly trying to put the top up, even though it is already up. The switch near the console is in the middle and not stuck on either side (up or down). I can hear the pump going non stop. When I press the top down button, the pump will stop (the top will not go down), but when I release the down button the pump will go back to trying to close the top. I know it is consistently trying to close the top because I'll have the car on, press the down button to stop the pump, manually lift the top a little bit, and when I release the down button, the top closes as if I'm pressing the UP button. The fluid in the pump is full and has no signs of leaks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also here are some pics of the original sticker and manual I think you guys will enjoy.

post-9020-143689138148_thumb.jpg

post-9020-143689138168_thumb.jpg

post-9020-143689138185_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you have a faulty switch. Something inside the switch is probably stuck. If you end up troubleshooting it to be the switch, let me know as I have a good one from a 94.

Not sure if you have access to a multimeter, but that is a normally open switch meaning there would be no continuity unless it is pressed down or up closing the contacts in the switch allowing power to flow. If you probe it out in the plug, there should be no continuity unto you press it. Hope this helps and did not confuse you more.

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is a photo of the switch. Is this supposed to pop off easily? I tried with a good bit of force but stopped because I didn't want to break it. If you think something there is faulty I'll give it another go.

post-9020-143689138201_thumb.jpg

I unplugged this (photo below) connector back by the pump. This caused the pump to shut off. I plugged it back in and the pump resumed trying to close the top. I unplugged this a few times playing with the switch in dash and turning the car on and off to no avail.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13776[/ATTACH]

Edited by sd832

To get the top switch out of the console top, you have to remove the brushed silver plastic insert which houses the shifter. there are tabs on each side which squeeze inward allowing it to slide right out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have opened up the top of the center console and unplugged the switch (see picture). This seemed to do nothing. The pump is still stuck in the down state, constantly closing the vert top. Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks again!

post-9020-143689139947_thumb.jpg

I have opened up the top of the center console and unplugged the switch (see picture). This seemed to do nothing. The pump is still stuck in the down state, constantly closing the vert top. Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks again!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13966[/ATTACH]

well it sounds like you got a short meaning getting power when it is no suppose to. There is a up/down relay for the pump. It has a 5 prong connector and is behind the rear seat back. I would unplug it. If it goes away, I would grab another relay.

well it sounds like you got a short meaning getting power when it is no suppose to. There is a up/down relay for the pump. It has a 5 prong connector and is behind the rear seat back. I would unplug it. If it goes away, I would grab another relay.

Great thanks. I'll take a look and circle back with everyone.

I have removed the relay (photo below) and the pump now does not turn on. From what I am gathering from everyone, this is a good sign that the problem has been found and seems to be the relay.

Now, where would I find one of these? I have been looking online for a good while and have come up with nothing. Any suggestions?

post-9020-143689140838_thumb.jpg

Check if the relay responds to the switch input. You should be able to feel or hear the relay switch, even with the motor disconnected (it would be quieter with the motor disconnected, since you said it's running all the time) I think. If the problem is between the relay and the motor, it might be easier to just re-wire that section in the back if you can't find the specific location of the short.

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Here is an update to my vert top problems.

Initially I replaced the relay (advised by a user on this thread) and that seemed to do nothing. But I dug deeper and found that there are two of those relays back by the pump. So i bought another new one and now bother relays are new. I then purchased and installed a replacement switch.

The top no longer tries to close, but there are still problems. The top will not open. I hear a clicking sound back by the pump every time i press the "open" button but the top does not open. When i press the "close" button the pump makes a loud buzzing sound but it does actually close the top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Kind of hard to troubleshoot without actually seeing the problem in person. My thoughts would be that the fluid level is already been checked, so possibly the pump may have gone bad do to the fact of it constantly trying to close. But

Ike I said, I would not bet any money on it. Best of luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk