Rattle in my 95 Grand Prix Coupe

Hoganator

Does anybody have subs in their Grand Prix? I can not figure out what is rattling in the back of the interior of my car. It sounds like the noise is coming from past the back seats but I don't want to tear anything apart if i don't know what's rattling. If anyone is familiar with this issue please give me some feedback. Thanks! :D

with a 1st gen, could be a lot of things. i'd pull the carpeting back and take a look at the strut towers and strut mount if you're certain it's in the interior.

I have 2 12"s in my Cutlass, along with aftermarket rear speakers. The speaker cover clips on mine were brittle from being in the sun for years, and broke. They rattle even without the subs on.

On my 93 GP the spring tensioner things for the trunk caused the ratteling in mine. But i also siliconed the speaker mounts down for a good seal and also put some thin pieces of rubber down between the speaker and base.

My 2 ported 12s are wreaking havok on the rear deck. The whole carpeted area flexes on the low notes, with the addition of rattling. I actually found it to be one of the brackets that one of my 6x9s is screwed into. I would check that. It just appears to be a piece of plastic that's snapped in.

I plan on putting some foam on it to stop the rattle, but that's where most of mine comes from. The license plate moves pretty bad too but that's outside the car so whatever.

Edited by will_s95

ive got the same problem with my 6x9s, i cut up a nerf dart and stuffed it around the clips for the speaker mount and it helped a little but im going to have to buy some foam or silicone and remove them to do a proper job.

Yeah, like Will said - on my 01 Impala, my two 12's rattle the everliving shit out of my rear deck. That would be the first thing I'd check if I was you.

Could also be the spare tire/jack, as well.

• 4 weeks later...

My '92 GP rear deck speakers rattle too. I have to apply some silicone and maybe some sound deadening material back there to get rid of it. The factory speaker adapters were fine for the stock system, but are clearly not designed for a Monsoon system.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's my finished up interior deadening job performed with a $2.50 roll of mini gorilla tape. This stuff is seriously sticky. I moved the 6x9 housings up and down and put tape where they moved. Now they don't move/rattle anymore. Who knows how long it will hold, but its worked for about 3 weeks. My bass actually sounds like bass again.

Speaker in

post-8299-143689137493_thumb.jpg

Speaker out

post-8299-143689137508_thumb.jpg

post-8299-143689137522_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The stock setup for the rear deck 6x9's is a joke in these cars if you plan on running real speakers in the deck and subs with your system... With my rear deck I applied 80mm Deadener generously and made my own new speaker baffles from some birch ply scraps I had kicking around from an enclosure build - Made an amazing difference: Not only did it silence my rear deck rattle, but made my 6x9's sound a whole lot better :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...