thunk over bumps?

95regal

I have a 95 regal with about 90 thousand miles on it and everytime I go over a bump at low to moderate speed I hear a thunk sound. it sounds like struts and mount time but would like to know for sure.the car has recent ball joint replacement and the bushings in the lower arms look ok.the car does not bounce excessively over bumps but the noise is a little annoying.if struts and mounts are needed which brand is recommended?the car is 90%driven on nyc streets and would like to keep my back from breaking over the many pot holes in the area. also would the condition of the motor ,trans or subframe mounts be possible sources of the noise? THANKS!

I would put my money on the struts. I've yet to hear of anybody having blown struts at 90,000 miles though. I'm pretty sure I still have my stock struts on my 94 at 200,000 miles. If you live in the city though with a lot of potholes then that would probably explain that though since I live in the country.

The noise is coming from the front of the car right?

KYB GR2's are the go-to strut if you want something stiffer that would help the car handle better through twisty roads without spending too much.

its likely the strut mounts. hopefully the mount area isnt rusted to crap. at nearly 20 years old and 90k miles the struts are due for replacement.

GR2's are good, so are Monroe Sensa Trac.

Look a little deeper than the struts only. I replaced mine and still have that thunk. Everything looks ok, I am replacing a wheel bearing same tire where thunk is but I am actually thinking I might be missing a engine mount bushing/rubber piece.

As for their life, I replaced the struts when I replaced the rubber insulators after one snapped. The struts were fine but decided why not.

• 2 weeks later...

pry up and down on the Engine/Tranny mount, lower on the driver's side. Drove me crazy till I found it! It sounds like what you have going on. 20 minutes with a floor jack, hand tools and a beer to replace it.