Rear Licsence Plate

project 92z

First off, I'm kinda new to this communitybut I've been kinda checking it out for a while. I own a white 92 Lumina Z34, my second onein about 8 years. I'm a BIGGGGGGGGG fan of the W bodies and the Z34 in particular. the styling of them is soo not the norm, especially compared to what's out now. That said, Howdie.

My Z34 is my daily driver but still my baby. I've been looking for a part though for a while. Like I said, this is my second Z34 plus the base model I had turned into a clone. All of them had the same issue, the rear licsence plate assembly. For those not familiar, the Z34 has an assembly that mounts between the tail lights, instead of being molded into the bumper. Whether it's because the plastic is just brittle, people are just careless, or they destroy them trying to deal with a plate, I've never seen one not damaged. Is there anyone out there that has a connection or direction for me to check out?

Check with the dealer. I know some suppliers will buy up excess parts that the dealer can then buy from them. It's an old obscure part, but worth a shot. They can even see if other dealers across the country have it, and you could then call them...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Check with the dealer. I know some suppliers will buy up excess parts that the dealer can then buy from them. It's an old obscure part, but worth a shot. They can even see if other dealers across the country have it, and you could then call them...

I tried that. Local dealer around here told me the car is too old and that GM doesn't support it anymore. So unless the part can be crossed with a newer car, they can't even pull it up. Thank you American Greed- can't have something last forever. Not enough money in that...

Yeah, they're feeding you shit most likely. I buy parts at cost from a family member at the dealer and he's done it for me. It's a lot of work so he probably just doesn't want to do it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I'll give it another shot and maybe throw the old " Well can i speek to a supervisor?" at 'em. Maybe that'll help. If that doesn't work, do you think your contact might be able to help me out? Like I said, it's been a few years of searching and it really bugs me.

Edited by project 92z

He's actually off work right now for knee surgery. When he gets back I can ask him. Another thing you might try is going to another dealer if you can.

Sent from my shitty phone using Tapatalk.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a dealer that actually searched for one. They found a vendor in WI for $220 and notice there is no decimal point there!!!!! What the HELL? I realize there's a issue of the law of supply and demand but really!?!

Ha, yeah is it NOS part? thats probably why it still costs so much. I've been trying to restore my old 1986 Grand Am and holy crap the cost of some of the 'new' parts is ridiculous. I have to ask, did you try ebay?

I'm sure that's a brand new part. Which, by itself is cool that there are still NOS W-body parts floating around from almost 15 years ago...but crazy priced.

I remember when I first had my Lumina in 02/03 parts from the dealer were still stupid expensive. I had wrecked my front license plate frame, and a NOS one from Chevy was still like $45 :lol: :facepalm:

Sucks about such an obscure car, that you have to search high and low for parts like this. Ebay, craigslist, forums, junkyards.