The Saga Continues....89 Cutty still won't stay running...

virtuetovice

For now I'd just like to go stock for the sake of having my Cutty back. I miss it. The Regal has been the DD and while it's loads faster it's just not the same.

However, electronics modding always intrigues me so it will be something to be done in the future :dance:

• 1 month later...

Will a bad idle air control valve cause my car to run absolutely perfect for a few seconds then shut off abruptly? I've replaced the PCM and no longer have the "random cylinder fire" condition that I had, but now the car will run like a top for about 5 seconds and then shut down abruptly. I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the IAC so I unplugged it. After that, attempting to start the car resulted in a slow die down. The car would start and lower the idle slowly until it cut off. I plugged the IAC back in and back to the "run perfect, shut off" condition.

Installed a 7727 out of a 90 3.1 car.

If it helps, the ECM is not currently throwing any code out besides 12. I still think it's rather odd that my IAC is making a buzzing sound. I tapped it with a wrench and the buzz stopped but it did not change my car's behavior at all.

Well I figured it out, the TPS is whacked out. I flogged the throttle while starting for a few mins and eventually it caught and the car ran, revved and everything perfectly. JUST WHEN the battery was starting to die from numerous attempts to start. The TPS has a few dead spots for sure...

I tried swapping my original MEMCAL in and the car would do that same "random cylinder firing" thing. The IAC is buzzing still so I'll go ahead and replace both TPS and IAC. Will I run into any issues using the MEMCAL out of the 90 3.1 car?

fueling and spark might be a LITTLE bit off, but nothing serious like LH0 vs LQ1 or LH0 vs L82.

EDIT: a couple of other small things changed between 88 and 90, like VSS.

Well, I do know my speed was pretty off after trans swapping. The reluctor wheel in the new trans had more teeth than the original. Maybe it's feex now! I'll find out in a couple days after I get everything put back together properly and get an inspection done.

hmm.... 88 would still be using the EVRV EGR vs the digital EGR that started in 90....

that could pose an issue.

My car is an 89? Difference or no?

go into the throttle follower and give it a sweep. thats what it takes to get these cars to run on e-10

We're talking tune right?

Edited by virtuetovice

assuming your car is running on limp mode or something from low voltage, a sweep of the throttle follower curve will solve this. sounds like the fuel pump shut off from low voltage maybe?

you said you flogged the throttle and the battery charged a little, but the voltage dropped below 11 volts probably after you stopped revving and it died.

exactly the same on mine. the IAC can get more juice to the battery for sure. it is tuned like the EQ for your stereo. If you don't hear any bass, you tune it so it can be heard. simple as that.

assuming your car is running on limp mode or something from low voltage, a sweep of the throttle follower curve will solve this. sounds like the fuel pump shut off from low voltage maybe?

you said you flogged the throttle and the battery charged a little, but the voltage dropped below 11 volts probably after you stopped revving and it died.

exactly the same on mine. the IAC can get more juice to the battery for sure. it is tuned like the EQ for your stereo. If you don't hear any bass, you tune it so it can be heard. simple as that.

Not exactly...i just kept trying and trying to start it, and just before the battery gave up from 15 mins of start attempts, the car decided to fire up as I was flipping the throttle. It ran and revved fine. I could tell there was something up with the TPS, because in certain spots the engine skipped a few beats. If I moved the throttle just a little more or less it ran fine.

I took another trip to the yard today and snagged a few TPS and IAC sensors. Logic says out of 3 pairs, I have one working pair. I also grabbed another MEMCAL. I'm thinking about swapping out different MEMCAL's and ECM's to see if I have a good spare ECM. I'm almost certain my original MEMCAL is bad. Maybe Saar could use it for something?

• 4 months later...

I have '89 Grand Prix SE with 5-speed. Had similar problem and found that fuel injector was shorting out. When one shorts out, it shuts down the other two on that bank. I ended up replacing all the stock injectors with a set of Bosch injectors from Linder Fuel Services in Speedway, Indiana. you can call them at (317) 487-9460. I had replaced just about every sensor possible before replacing the injectors. Car runs like a banshee now, no hesitations on acceleration. Hope this helps.