just saved this 90 mclaren gp from a field in va

jffocused

i just picked up my grand prix about 2 weeks ago its at moore automotive in va where it broke down on me..wasnt taken care of so thats what happens, has a 60 trim turbo in it and everything else is completely stock except for a chip, the guages work about half, has the wrong wheels on it and needs painted and interior work, cant throw a big turbo on it and not tune it or mod it people never learn, so im getting a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust put on it downpipe... a bov and bigger charge pipes and a fmic then a actual tune then get it painted and the headliner fixed ill have some money in it but itll be worth it

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/558765_467574859947683_2073526959_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532253_468175243220978_1746798622_n.jpg

I'd consider checking everything over real well. Check what chip is in the computer, if its running a stock chip with a bigass aftermarket turbo its a good way to go boom. Is it even running a o2 sensor? What injectors does it have?

I'd be willing to be the car has graced TGPforums or this site at least once in a previous life, it looks to have a rebuilt crossover on it. I'd be rear suspect of the ebay turbo. I would not want a off balance china turbo deciding to grind metal shavings into the intake of your car.

How good do the brakes work? are the anti-lock or brake lamps on or flashing? did some previous owner remove the lamps from the cluster if they are not on? The brake system works good when its maintained, but it can be a expensive/scary proposition otherwise. Make sure its in good shape, I've lost brakes in my car a few times now, its scary shit.

Post up some more pictures of it, They are cool, fun cars but be prepared to get your learn on.

it has a topgun chip in it as far as i know , the abs light is on along with every light on the bad cluster, the brakes work good needs rotors as they are shot, its down at moore automotive getting tuned and fixed thats where it broke down at, car needs tlc but they are unheard of around md as far as the ebay turbo goes it scares the shit outta me next year i plan to change it with a quality one

My best advice to you is to know what you are getting into. You can sink a lot of money into these cars quickly. But they can be a lot of fun too. The PM3 Abs system has claimed more than its fair share of these cars. A non-abs swap can be done if desired but it's a lot of work. I do not regret mine however, just didn't have a clue what I was getting into.

Get the brake system the attention it needs, period. I lost my first TGP to a malfunctioning PMIII system. The ANTI-LOCK and BRAKE lights are not just idiot lights you should ignore. It can mean anything from a bad wheel speed sensor to, you might not have brakes when you need them.

Edit: pictures

108.jpg

109.jpg

That was not a fun day.

Edited by White93z34

that was a nice looking tgp to what a shame, but as soon as i get my car back im gonna find out why the light is on i dont want to lose my tgp because of some faulty brake system it depends if you turn right for the lights to come on at first i though it could possible low on fluid (brake light) checked it it was full after finding out about these problems the cars all have might just do a swap and be done with it to vacuum brakes, im from pa as well your not to far from me

That car was about 60 miles on a transmission swap when that happened too. Made for an abrupt end to that project.

If you need a hand with it let me know. I'm no "expert" on them but due to me having something like every effing PMIII problem under the sun, I know the ins and outs of it somewhat well. Also I have a Tech1 that can pull ABS codes as too. When its working its amazingly effective. My TGPs brakes are hammer-time, but when its pissed off look out.

Take note of how long the brake pump runs and how often it runs. it should run every 2-3 pedal presses. if it runs all the time or every press then it needs attention. Figure at minimum a new accumulator ball, its a "wear" item that no one ever services.

thanks man, soon as i get the car back ill check into it to see if its working right if not might have to make a trip up to see what the codes are, the brakes grab ok but the rotors are trash and shakes the car all over the place hope my codes are not nothing to serious

it was in the middle of nowwhere found it on craigslist and bought it next day. it was a 3-hr drive one way from hagerstown md where i live i couldnt remember what the town was called but they had cheap gas lol, even though the car is a bucket itll get fixed

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see another survivor. Not sure why the previous owner relocated the badges like that wierd. Make sure you join TGPforums also it is a very important asset to any TGP owner and I can vouch for that any day.