Gonna have to do some body work/repainting on my front clip

JTalley

Here's what I'm working with.

lumina1.jpg

This is what I was told- the previous owner was going a little too fast for the road. She looked away for just a second, then turned back around to see the back of a brand new Suburban. She slammed on the brakes, locked them up, but just didn't react in time. Everybody was ok, and the Suburban wasn't damaged.

I want to fix this. I can do the bodywork myself. I only have a few questions about the paint.

It's the adriatic blue metallic, the code for it is U9907. What's the best aerosol version of this? I know Duplicolor matches pretty good, but from my experience it flakes off after 6 months. I've never actually used it, just seen other people's cars that have used it. Is this just them, or is the paint just crummy? Maybe some decent clear coat would help?

Also, where can I get the red pinstriping that goes down the fenders? You can't see it in this picture, but the right fender is pressed in and scraped up, so it has to be repainted.

I've never had to match paint before- I normally would just repaint the whole thing the color of my choice, but the paint on the rest of the car is pretty good still, so there's no sense doing that.

Looks like an easy fix, new fender, hood, header panel, lamps and grille. I'd look around for one the same color already.

any auto body shop supply store should have the same pinstripe tape. I'd just remove all of them myself though.

i've had good results with duplicolor before.... i'd say if it's flaking off, people aren't prepping it correctly, if at all. and the factory finish is base coat / clear coat, so if you don't clear it, it's not going to look right anyways.

Just got back from the salvage yard with a brand new hood and latch. I'll have to do some adjusting to get it to fit right, but it looks better. I'm just about to order a new grille and header panel, and I plan on picking up some other parts later this week. It's coming together pretty good, I think!

I have blended in two like colors and had a perfect match. had ivory white and white and kind of misted both on lightly. that worked good for matching the spray paint but it didn't look perfect until I cleared over it. after that you could not even tell.

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost done! Most of my time has been spent waiting on all the various parts to come in the mail. Just gotta do a little bit more tweaking, then put some paint on that grille.

Photo1124.jpg

Edited by JTalley