grand prix needs new tires

jake91

Ok i need tires for the GTP. I want something that will be good for performance and grip well but will have a 40,000 + mile tread life. right now im looking at Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid what do you think, and what other suggestions do you have. im looking to spend around $550 for tires not including mounting and balancing.

Edited by jake91

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• WhatTheFehl

• Crazy K

• 19Cutlass94

$550 isn't gonna buy anything great for performance and mileage. Unless you can find some used. That price range your looking at your basic all season/ grand touring tires. Your gonna have to spend around $700 plus if you want some real nice tires. But assuming this is for the stock tire size for your GTP, there really are not many "high performance" tires in that tire size.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

I didn't know tires were supposed to last that long! :lol:

Edit: I usually get Michelin's btw, Harmony's IIRC. Pretty quiet, fairly grippy, and they've got a decent amount of sidewall tread.

I'd recommend the BF Goodrich Advantage T/As. 60k mile tread life warranty, set of 4 are $428 on tirerack.

I believe those are the same as carried at Sam's Club, and the price would be comparable...

Ok then I will lower my mileage standards to 30k. I just don't want to buy tires for 2 years. also remember I live in Arizona so I don't need anything that would be good in snow.

What about continental tires they seem to be cheap and consumer reports reccomend them.

19cutlass94

I was considering the pilot sport a/s also

Edited by jake91

Highly highly highly recommend Yokohama AVID Ascend. Excellent tire. Quiet, good handling in dry and wet. I have them for my summer tires on the Outback in H speed rating flavor. I know it says standard touring passenger all season but they are an excellent handling tire. And have a 75,000 mile warranty.

^hahahahaha

I think i found something. What you think about Cooper Zeon RS3A? They have a 40k tread life warranty, a W speed rating, seem to get good reviews all around, and best yet i can get them for less than $600 with the road hazard warranty.

QUESTION: ARE YOU LOOKING TO BE MR SPEED RACER? Or are you trying to get good tires that will last? I would NEVER put 30,000 mile tires on anything EVER! they would be half worn out in 15,000 miles. I wouldn't even get a year out of them! same goes for 40,000 mile tires.

The Sam's club B.F.Goodrich tires are 75,000 tires, they are not "made to order" for sam's club like the shitty tires sold by Walmart. ...and those tires are actually MICHELIN manufactured.

I do have a set of Walmart Uniroyal Tigerpaw touring tires on one car. they are 80,000 mile tires, but they are firm enough to handle well and i have never had a traction issue. I swear they have 40,000 miles, but still have about 80% tread.... In spite of being "walmart select" they are very good, and Uniroyal is yet another brand owned and manufactured by Michelin.

The YOKOHOMA AVID tires are great! I have had three different types of yokos come though my hands (3 1/2 sets of each somehow...) and they were firm to the road good for traction and long lasting... except for my first set... which were actually "summer rated only"... explains why I had trouble in the snow with them.. OOPS!!!!!

About Walmart tires... they are made to wal-mart's specification by manufacturers for sale only at walmart, often they are older tech, older style models, and are not covered by the same real warranties that real quality tires are covered by. You get what you pay for quite often, and this is no exception. If you have ever looked at their "Douglas X-trac" tires... They remind me of bias ply tires... and that is how SHITTY they are... they don't even have a road tread designed in the radial era.

I think continental tires are garbage... my experience with inspecting used ones is they were always out of round. Tire shop guy I worked with hated them cause they would never hold a balance.

I DO NOT LIKE about the GOODYEAR VIVA/viva 2. they always seem to be way to soft in the side wall and/or worn too fast on the outside edge.

FINAL ADVICE

Buy a good long lasting tire that can perform... not something that in six months you'll have made this thread again and are moaning you need tires... again. you will be paying about the same for a low life "sports tire" as you would for those B.F. Goodrich's... so why not just get them or something similarly capable???

Edited by Crazy K

Well, first I'd say if you're having any kind of fun while driving, throw your mileage expectations out the window. Pay <$600 for a set of Michelin's, BF's, or worst comes to worst, Firestone.

I'm running Michelin Harmony's, 225/60R16 - believe me when I say I've put them through the paces. They're pretty damn good rubber for the money, and I'd totally buy the same thing for my next set. PS, I got a better deal on my tires than what I'm finding online, IIRC.

Well I think I have decided on the cooper zeon rs3a I figure if they are good enough for roush they probably are pretty good

Unless someone tells me otherwise

Ok screw it I'm just going to spend the money and get something good I have a good job now and will be commuting 70 miles a day

Edited by jake91

d'oh! others don't like the B.F.G tire http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/75746-Looking-at-a-couple-different-tire-options But I've been happy with the ones I had....

One thing with tires I watch out for besides mileage, is... how soft is the sidewall? the softer sidewall tires are much more of a pisser to drive with, they allow all types of wander and poor handling to occur. EXAMPLE: My roommate's truck is a 99 gmc sierra 4.3 short bed. when the tire set two sets back were replaced the truck got the cheapest tires the store had, Kelly Safari (a Goodyear minor brand). the truck had horrible wanderlust and would be very uncomfortable to drive as the tires flexed so easily that it allowed it to wander all over the road... especially when loaded. The tires lasted maybe 40,000 miles before being discarded at about 2/32, they had been unsafely slippery for about 6 months already. On my argument better tires were bought this time, Toyo Open Country H/T. I walked up to the three tire types i would even consider putting on the truck at a shop and these had much stiffer sidwalls than the rest. so far? 20,000 miles and alot more tread than the kelly tires had at 10,000 miles remaining. You get what you pay for.

I had Toyo Proxies 225/55/16 on my 97 GTP, and i loved those tires, they handled so well on the road, Did fat smokey burnouts and i never really lost tread fast. Picked up a used set basically new pull offs for less than $200. Craigslist :)