Wiper Issue for 94 Cutlass Supreme

onelegger51

Hi All: I have a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme and Iam haveing issues with the Combination Switch, which I found out that what the part is called. It is the Turn Signal/Wipers/and Dimmer all in one. All functions are working fine except for the wiper function. After investigating the issue, I found out all the functions work, but when you turn the end of the switch to turn on the different speeds of the wipers, the wipers don't work, "unless" I take my hand and very gently apply just a very small amount of pressure downward on the switch.

Now I don't have to pull down to the point that the left turn signal comes on, but with just slight pressure downward on the switch, the wipers will then work properly.

My question is does anyone here have a compatible switch, and also, since its just the one function of the wipers that are causeing the issue, can that particular issue be repaired somehow without changing out the entire switch? From what I understand, the steering wheel has to be pulled in order to replace it. The part plus the labor Iam afraiod is going to be expensive especially on a fixed income of Disability.

I also noticed that there is a wireng harness that the switch plugs into in the steering columb, and I wigg;ed the several wires that go to the plug that plgs into the stering columb, and when I did that the wipers came on and off as I wiggled the wires. So that sort of makes me wonder if the issue is one of those little wires that make up that wireing harness has become loose and wondered if that could be repaired insead of replacing the entire switch.

If it were up to me and I knew how, I would just mount a little toggle switch somewhere that would turn the wipers on and off and not worry about the different wiper speeds. I don't know if that cou;d be done or not. Everything else on the switch operates the other functions fine. What do some of you think I need to do? One thing about it, I surely need windshild wipers.

One good thing is though, I had just had the car in for its annual safety inspection, and eveidently they worked fine then because everything passed. I didn't notice the probl;em until a ay or two later when it began to rain. I would greatly apreciate any advice as what I need to do here.

Thanks so much. In case you want to know why my user name is onelegger 51 is Iam an amputee on the left side just below the knee.

1994 cutlasses may have a recall on their wiper switch, the way to tell is to look and see if their is a ziptie that holds the wires in place near the base of the stalk. talk to a dealership about the recall. Assuming that the switch is just shot, good used ones are plenty available, cheap, and I have NEVER seen a bad one. i have a tested spare if you do actually need it.

1994 cutlasses may have a recall on their wiper switch, the way to tell is to look and see if their is a ziptie that holds the wires in place near the base of the stalk. talk to a dealership about the recall. Assuming that the switch is just shot, good used ones are plenty available, cheap, and I have NEVER seen a bad one. i have a tested spare if you do actually need it.

How much do you want for the one you have?

Do I remember the multi-function switch correctly? The thing couldn't be easier to replace. Grab the handle, yank it out of the steering column. Gently pull the wire harness connector apart. Re-connect the new wire harness. Position the new switch so the locating tab lines up, and smack it back in. Done in two minutes. Maybe one minute if you've done 'em before. I'm not sure about the wire harness part. Got a Lumina steering column out in the garage I'll take a look at later.

The switches are available at any parts store, 'cause they're a common failure item.

NAPA p/n ECH CC109 $154.

482654.jpg

That picture looks exactly like the one I need. There is no way I could afford $155.00 for a new swict due to being on disability. Didn't I rtead where you said you may have a used one if I needed it. If so what would you want for it. I have had people telling me that since I had a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL I will have to pull the steering wheel. When I looked online on how to change one out, it didn't mention anything about pulling the steering wheel. On my 94 there is a small plastic plate or cover that you can remove right in front of where the turn signals go into the steering columb. I don't see why I couldn't do it myself if the steering wheel doesn't have to be pulled. I see the little harness that connect from the switch to the sterring columb. If you indeed do have one used I could get at a reasonalble price I would be greatly appreciative. I didn't think I would have to pull the steering wheel on my 1994. If you have a used one you can sell me email me at clontzd@bellsouth.net Have a great weekend.

Don

That picture looks exactly like the one I need. There is no way I could afford $155.00 for a new swict due to being on disability. Didn't I rtead where you said you may have a used one if I needed it. If so what would you want for it. I have had people telling me that since I had a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL I will have to pull the steering wheel. When I looked online on how to change one out, it didn't mention anything about pulling the steering wheel. On my 94 there is a small plastic plate or cover that you can remove right in front of where the turn signals go into the steering columb. I don't see why I couldn't do it myself if the steering wheel doesn't have to be pulled. I see the little harness that connect from the switch to the sterring columb. If you indeed do have one used I could get at a reasonalble price I would be greatly appreciative. I didn't think I would have to pull the steering wheel on my 1994. If you have a used one you can sell me email me at clontzd@bellsouth.net Have a great weekend.

Don

You dont have to pull the steering wheel and its an easy swap if you have the part, that little plastic plate with the three screws comes off and the module comes out. Its been a few years since i was into that area, i was replacing my turn signal switch but i believe you can get that piece off from there. Pulling the wheel just makes it easier. you might be able to find a decent one at a salvage yard for nothing if you have big pockets.

you might be able to find a decent one at a salvage yard for nothing if you have big pockets.

Marvelous. You come onto a legitimate forum and encourage someone to steal.

I'm ashamed of you. Post reported.

Why are you showing pictures of the turn signal stalk?

The only wiring contacts in the turn signal stalk control the cruse control.

The multifunction switch that controls headlights, wipers,and turn signal is inside the steering column.

GEEEEZZZ

Why is everyone so CRITICAL !

My junk yard guy gives me free stuff when it's NOT in my pocket...

The handle has switches in it too...

I'm still an idiot....

Be nice

Good being back here for a moment!

geez they crush these things by the hundreds every day, i consider it repurposing somone elses garbage that they are trying to make a profit on. Not saying break into the garage next door and swipe a HUD unit and windshield.

If I cannot find a replacement switch to use my wipers, is it possible to rig up a toggle switch to just operate the wipers? And then I can use the original switch for everything else because all that stuff is working. Could I just wire the wipers from the wiper motor to a toggle switch and mount it somewhere? It seems that would be a cheap way to go. I am going to have to have wipers pretty quick. Its going to rain again fairly soon. Just a thought. If I could find combination switch later,

but if the toggle switch idea would work, I will have wipers now although it would be one speed. Is something like that possible?

Thanks, Don

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I don't know if you got an answer to this but I have a lot of information about it. I'll start with this recall notice and if you answer I can tell you about the part needed. There are dealer phone numbers at the end of this recall and you can file a complaint at the NHTSA link below...If you have info you can post or pm me here... http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Make : OLDSMOBILE Model : CUTLASS Year : 1994

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 97V017000 Recall Date : FEB 04, 1997

Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:SWITCH/WIRING

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 349331

Summary:

SOME OF THESE VEHICLES HAVE A STRAINED OR SEPARATED WASHER/WIPER SWITCH POWER FEED WIRE.

Consequence:

THIS CAN CAUSE THE WINDSHIELD WASHER/WIPER TO WORK INTERMITTENTLY AND COULD ULTIMATELY RESULT IN INOPERATIVE WIPERS. IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR IN A SEVERE WEATHER SITUATION, DRIVER VISIBILITY COULD BE REDUCED, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE OLD DESIGNED WASHER/WIPER SWITCHES WITH A NEWLY DESIGNED SWITCH.

Notes:

OWNER NOTIFICATION: OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH 1997. NOTES:

OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, BUICK AT 1-800-521-7300, OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537, OR PONTIAC AT 1-800-762-2737. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

RECALL 97V-017 - PIVOT AND (PULSE/DIMMER) WINDSHIELD WASHER SWITCH - GENERAL MOTORS HAS DECIDED THAT A DEFECT WHICH RELATES TO MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY EXISTS IN CERTAIN 1994 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX, 1994-95 BUICK REGAL, OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME AND 1995 CHEVROLET LUMINA/MONTECARLO MODEL VEHICLES - SOME OF THESE VEHICLES HAVE A STRAINED OR SEPARATED WASHER/WIPER SWITCH POWER FEED WIRE -THIS MAY CAUSE THE WINDSHIELD WASHER/WIPER TO WORK INTERMITTENTLY AND COULD ULTIMATELY RESULT IN INOPERATIV WIPERS - IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR IN A SEVERE WEATHER SITUATION, DRIVER VISIBILITY COULD BE REDUCED, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING - TO CORRECT THIS CONCERN, DEALERS ARE TO SERVICE ALL VEHICLES SUBJECT TO THIS CAMPAIGN AT NO CHARGE TO CUSTOMERS, REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE, AGE OF VEHICLE, OR OWNERSHIP, FROM THIS TIME ON - RECALL 97V-017.