3800 Series II

fleetwoodguy79

Well, winter is finally here, so it means tons of snow, and plenty of time in the garage! My question is about a motor swap... I'm looking to take out my 3100, and stick one of those 3800 Series II Supercharged engines from the new GP's into it. Anyone done this before? I've seen some pictures of someone who's done it, but I can't get a hold of him. I've heard you have to rewire, and get a new computer, thats not a problem. My local junkie can get that one for me :-). But is this possible by myself do you think? Or will I need a "professional" persay. Well, if anyone has any info, I would be forever in your debt! Maybe after I get done with it you can drive it yourself haha... thanks all

hey hit me up with questions ill help you out as best as i can. i put a 2000 3800 II supercharged into my 96 cutlass. So yeah let me know what yr and kind of car you have and ill help you out. Umm if you live near the detroit area ill even come help ya.

Later

Justin

Email lholmes54@comcast.net

or hit me on AIM Sherlock8430

DO YOU NEED AN INTAKE WHEN THE SWAP IS DONE? i make a 3.5" cold air intake that puts the filter in your fenderwell that works with all 1st gen 3800 series II W-Bodies.

I did the swap. everthing bolted into my lumina Z34. You will need to make a higbred axle. i used the stock 1/2 shafts for the lumina and the part that plugs to the tranny was swaped onto the stock lumina 1/2 shaft. other then that everthing lined up. GET the new fuse box! that will make wiring easier. you will have to hardwire the new wiring harness that goes from the fuse box to the firewall, using the original firewall connector. once thats done it should hopefully start. I needed to add a few sensors and reuse a couple sensor to make everthing work and not get a SES light. I got a new style cruse control modual form a junkyard. there are a few things i am still trying to figure out. like my ABS doesn't work yet and small things like that.

RedZ

I ran into issues with the computer and the digital dash.... I don't know what dash you have, but if it's digital...you will run into issues. Now i have seen this done with a cutlass who had analog guages. But if you have digital with a tach.....there is a chance the tach may not work after the change.

You would need the Motor, the tranny the wiring harness, and the computer.....

If this is something you plan on doing over the course of the winter months, you will have all sorts of time to tweak it......

Let us know what you decide on and how it goes.....

If you have a Cutlass with digital dash, the tach will NOT work after an L67 transplant.

The only idea I'd have for it, is to get ahold of a 1227730 ECM (that goes inside the car - way smaller than the 7727 that goes underhood). Put the old MEMCAL in it. Then connect the L67's ignition module to the appropriate wires on the 7730 ECM and connect its ALDL output to the digital dash. I think that MIGHT work.