Looking to learn more about W-bodies, possible potential?

Pepsibottle1

Hey folks, my name is Matt and I'm a proud 17 year old car enthusiast/gearhead. I currently attend ODU studying Motorsports Engineering Technology and I aspire to be either a performance tuner or work for a F1 team in the future.

Right now though, I'm simply getting through school and working at the local Burger King. The reason I found this site was because I wanted to learn more about the W-body platform. Like I said, I'm a huge gearhead and I'm pretty technically savvy. I go to car meets every week and I really hate how the Honda guys act so superior and cocky. There's a lack of domestic showing in the performance scene and after seeing a Lumina Z34 for sale locally, I kinda fell in love with the car.

So I did some more research and quite honestly, I'm a bit suprised at how potentially potent this platform could be. GM made some excellent V6 engines, and I don't think it would take much to make these cars into corner cutters besides some suspension tuning.

So that's me. While I try to fetch a Z34 Lumina, I figured this would be the place to learn more about these cars and what they have to offer. I think they are very awesome cars and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts and basic insight on them. Looking foward to talking with you guys in the forum.

-Matt

Welcome to the forum! Scroll through the members rides and see what others have done to improve there cars, White93Z34 and Got2BGM both have outstanding Luminas to check out

Welcome to the forums! While the W platform certainly has it's short-comings and downfalls, they've at least got some potential. My 1995 Grand Prix was my first car - still have and love it, and I kind of hate the idea of getting rid of it.

Unfortunately, most of the W-body engines have slim to nil upgrades available without custom fabrication(with the exception to 3800's), but there's no reason you can't make one stick to the road like stink on shit. I converted my old saggy mono-leaf to coil-overs. Combined with front+rear strut braces and sway bars, I have to say the car handles pretty damn well.