Twin turbo 3.4L???

phantomshado

Hey everyone. I know where I can get a whole 3.4 out of a 95 Monte for $150 with under 70000 miles. That includes the wire harness and chip. What about making this into a twin turbo??? I figure the battery would have to move to the trunk for the second turbo, and the first would go where a regular turbo would on a TGP. I know it'll be a super tight fit, but the concept is just too cool.

What do you guys/gals think it'd pull for HP, and whats the best size turbo to go with, I think two T2's would have relatively little lag, T25s are good on a TGP, but here there would be two in use, so whats your pick? Furthermore, with this I'd figure that I'd try to get about 10-11 psi boost, or is that too much? What would I have to do to make that kind of boost possible?

Thanks again everyone.

2 turbo's might fit but how are you going to fit all that piping under the hood? Honestly for 12psi I would just stick with a single turbo, if you pick the turbo right you will get full boost and it would only lag to 3-3500.

What do you guys/gals think it'd pull for HP, and whats the best size turbo to go with, I think two T2's would have relatively little lag, T25s are good on a TGP, but here there would be two in use, so whats your pick?

Space is an issue. Fabication is an issue. Tuning is an issue. Stay with one turbo.

TimG, RedZMonte, and Brian89GP (right Brian?) have working single turbocharged DOHC's.

But it took alot of reading, research, money, customization and flat out skill to get them on their feet.

Search for TimG's MC Z34 pictures on the forum; you'll understand the space issue very easily.

- Erik

well for two turbos it would take some work and fabrication.

and it depends on the car you are using for a lab rat....

say take a 90's GP, with out abs.

the exhaust could go with a crosover or you could go off 2 custom headers keeping the banks seperate.

witch would give you true Dual's

as for placing the turbo's could custom make a "doghouse" in the pass side floor to give room for a back turbo and you could move and replace the radiator in the front to the front of the core support and give room there. and place the turbo infront of the motor.

then if you wanted intercoolers....well makeing pipes is easy but routing them would be a challange. you would have to put them infront of the radiator and pipe around them...which could be done by routing to the drivers side from the rear turbo and piping in the front one and when comming out the intercooler going to the plenum...how ever the trick to that is getting the same distance of travel for the air comming from both turbo....

now that thats figured out.....anything that didnt fit under the hood would have to go to the trunk....batt, washerfluid, computer, throw the AC away.

then comes the chip tuning...and then your done....and after your tranny goes trying to find a 5 spd to put it becomes your next project

there are other things that would have to be done too but you would have to cross that bridge at that time.

uh you have to remember, for the single turbo they needed to move the battery to the trunk. the turbo 3.4 and TGP are VERY similar under the hood, just with a 3.4 instead. same turbo position, relatively close piping, etc. but no, there would be no room or nned for TT. TimG already cant hold traction through 1st, and his car wont shift past 6k

If I want something to be THAT powerful and fast I'd do it to a Trans AM or something with a V8 and room in the engine bay.

I hope you mean 3rd Gen F-bodies, because 4th Gen ones are a pain in the arse to work on. Try changing the spark plugs on an LT1 camaro...it makes ours(2.8/3.1 W-body) seem easier than a dohc 4 cylinder. :D

You guys you guys.. yes the motor could handle 10psi.. but here is your problem!!! What transmission are you going to use to harnis this massive HP!!!

4t60e with a 3.4 on 10psi.. i think not! TimG has posted he runs 8psi and states his transmisson is throwing a shitfit.

i hear the getrag 282 dosnt handle much more then the 4t60e if not the same..

Unless you have a transmisson for it. runing twin turbo would be utterly stuipd and a waist of money for the benifits compaired to 1 turbo at safe psi levels.

IMO runing a supercharger would give you more benifits without the added weight.

I wouldnt even bother running a TT on the 3.4L. As awesome as it would be, the amount of work involved in doing it, tuning, and keeping a transmission through more than a couple runs at the track would not be worth the moeny. BUt if money is not an issue, and you wnat to do the work, shit go for it. That would be one hell of a motor. Like someone else said, if i were gonna use that kind of money to make a TT i would use it on an LT1 where the engine and tranny will hold that kind of power. Granted there aint much room, my friend with a 96 Z28 has done all the work you guys complain about doing to a LT1 on here. Headers and plugs anyway. ALong with tons more mods.

I would go with two smaller turbos for faster spool-up time and reduced lag. Your biggest hurdle will be making the boost safe for the motor. Obviously, the 3.4 DOHC was never designed to run boost pressure so you may run into some problems there. Not to mention the piping that has to be done, and w-bodys engine bays aren't exactly spacious with the LQ1 in there. It'd be a ton of work, but I think upper 200s for HP would be realistic, if not more.

IIRC, timg used a T4 or something similar...

does anyone remember if he ever talked about the turbo lag?

yah i thought he said the turbo hit full boost at just over 3K, and started to really pick up after 2500, could be wrong tho, but i swear thats what he said

you are. he said the car feels exactly the same as b4 until 3k, where it starts making its boost. by 3500 hes making 5psi and the tries are smoking.

RedZ's isnt done yet as the guy that was doing the piping has had to hold it off a little while

The transmission would be the simplest fix out of this whole adventure. Just pack the tranny full of slip plates. (I don't know the exact term here, but I'll put it up once I get off my ass and look it up).

The engine with some moderate work I think could handle a 15 psi boost (total between the two turbos) If the piston heads are iron, which I believe they are, I'd just have them heat treated. I'd rather not get them made simply because every engine block is unique and has unique heating patterns that are mated to the pistons themselves. Its tricky like that. Unless of course I had new piston heads, and valves and basically the whole motor redone, which costs money that I do not have. (damn private education/car insurance) I think there is serious possibility here. The fluid tanks can be reshaped with relatively little difficulty, and I have access to a metallurgy lab (where I'm doing research on something that all of you would freakin' love, ask about it later!!)

All in all, I'd say that there is potential here, but thanks everyone for the feedback. Its very helpful, and I appreciate it a ton. Keep it coming.

I don't know how you guys even work on them the way they are now.. so cramped compared to the pushrods. :wink:

Trade ya! Work on a Stealth/3000GT twin Turbo once! Or even a 300ZX TT

The engine with some moderate work I think could handle a 15 psi boost (total between the two turbos) If the piston heads are iron, which I believe they are

the heads are aluminum.

and the 3.4 cant take 15. the guy who just COMPLETELY rebuilt my motor sadi hed still warrenty it if i ran a max of 14psi, but hed recommend no more than 10 if i also want it to last longer than the warrenty period.

2 turbos under the hood with the DOHC would be a modern marvel, there is little room for just 1 of them.

10-12 psi you start running into reliability problems, the weaker stock engines will blow and the stronger ones will be at their limits. At 14psi you run into pistons, rods, possibly the crank, and main cap problems.

At 14psi you run into pistons, rods, possibly the crank, and main cap problems.

all of which are new 8)

Yeah, but only stock replacements, right?

More then likely. You use forged pistons and forged H beam rods and you still got problems with the crank and main caps. Doesn't matter much if they are new or not, 14psi is reaching 450hp and the stock bottom end was just not designed for that. Not saying that its not possible but I wouldn't be suprised if your engine blew shortly afterwards.

It usually starts boosting at 2500, usable boost by 3000, and full boost by 3500. You really get a kick in the pants when it hits 3500 rpm. My tranny is dying, but it was dying before the turbo. Hopefully, I'll have it fixed soon. I'm running a T04E "60" trim. It's HUGE.

Tim