1995 GP SE Front Suspension

skitchin

Getting ready to redo the front suspension in my GP - just looking for recommendations on what all to replace - here's what I've got picked out so far:

Control Arms(Caster out of spec)

-Front Left Lower Control Arm DORMAN Part # 520147 $61.79

-Front Right Lower Control Arm DORMAN Part # 520148 $61.79

Front Coil Springs ACDELCO Sold In Pairs Part # 45H1078 $64.89

Front Strut KYB GR-2 / Excel-G Part # 366004 x2 $91.78

Vehicle is very high mileage, and a mechanic told me most of it looked factory original up front. Appreciate any suggestions, thanks guys.

I think his were damaged and they need to be replaced. We already discussed poly sway bar bushings. X2 on the strut mounts.

The strut bearings you should also look into replacing. I have seen those things get really worn out.

I don't think those dorman arms come with ball joints, don't forget those.

Since you're taking everything apart, and are going to need an alignment anyways, might as well slap a couple of new tie rod's on there. Even if they're not loose, at least the new ones will be greasable.

Update to my parts list

Prices for quantity shown – not sure if I’ll need balljoints or tierods

Control Arms

Sway Bar Bushings

Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 35mm Energy Suspension Part # 9.5173 x1 $18.99

Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 23mm Energy Suspension Part # 9.5159 x1 $15.99

Springs and Struts

Strut Bellow kit KYB Part # SB104 x2 $24.42

Strut Plate Insulator w/ Bearing RAYBESTOS Part # 5201193 x2 $97.58

Strut Mount Cap w/ Bearing ACDELCO Part # 45E1224 x2 $111.58

$548.81

Whats up guys, im doing some work on my front suspension as well, and ive got just a quick related question that doesnt deserve a new thread. Anyways whats the best way you guys are finding to get that large bolt with the T50 TORX out of the top of the strut tower? Im thinking that bumper just underneath the mount is going out as i can hear something out of place when i rock the car in the front. Ive got a wrench that fits it but with that mount sticking up like it does its hard to get a good fit. Or is this that one that requires a rental tool?

What are you doing/plans for your rear suspension skitchin?

Be very careful with the Dorman control arms. Research them before you order. Dorman used to be a reputable company, but for the last number of years they've outsourced practically their whole catalog to the Communists Chinese.

Used control arms with "used-but-usable" or new ball joints, and poly bushings would be my first choice. New Dorman control arms would be a distant second choice.

Just put in my order - shipping was rough, but I did find some 5% off coupons online: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

$593.32 total w/ shipping + discount, from http://www.energysuspensionparts.com and http://www.rockauto.com. Big bucks, but I've got a new motor and transmission tied up in the car, and what can I say, she's worth it!

I`ll be checking that one out for sure, my stuffs wearing out as its does after a good 10-15 years and i`d rather upgrade than replace. Since i got a `94 CS im sure both of our stock set ups are identical and I like to see what others are doing rather than figure it out, less expensive. Like you im wanting to go with an aftermarket set up but im not really wanting to lower the car alot because i believe you have to shim the engine at the mounts to compensate for the CVs being at a different angle, but ive been reading alot of threads and i could be mixed up.

I think i might have to expedite my plans for upgrading the front, i just stripped out that torx screw and i think its part of the strut cartridge itself so the only way im thinking i can get that out is drill out the shaft. But im gonna just put it back in the garage so i dont break nothing else on it till i have the parts:lol:

The rear is pretty easy to upgrade - people around here aren't fans of how my car is setup though. My rear upper strut mounts don't have a collar for the coilovers + isolator to slip around, so my coils are actually centered by the jounce bumper around the strut itself. Custom top mounts are just too expensive when it works just fine how I have it, especially seeing how the asking price has gone up so much...

As for the front - I'd be plenty happy if it road like stock vs the clunk, bounce routine. With the stiff rear suspension and sloppy front, my car sort of rides like a rubber pencil at times.

I dont know if i want to go with coil-overs just yet, i dont exactly plan to do much racing in this car. I just want something better than stock that will last a good long time. Im thinking about just going with the set up from the z34 and CS `Vert maybe with some bigger brakes and of cousre ES bushings. I got a bigger sawy bar from a pull a part for $20 bucks and another $40 went to autozone which surprisingly had the exact ones i needed sitting on the shelf and what a difference it does make. you got a 3.4 though right? I get confused with some of the GPs Only because i dont have one yet. really want a TGP:dance: I`d race the wheels off one of those.

Why go with aftermarket C. arms? Im just going to rebush them when i get a chance

And are you planning on lowering your car with the list you have up there or will it maintain its height or stay close to stock?

I have an L82 3100. New control arms because my old ones are rusted and out of spec.

My biggest concern with rear coliovers is dirt/grit getting into the strut cartridge.

My biggest concern with rear coliovers is dirt/grit getting into the strut cartridge.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been looking for strut boots for a while that works with 2.5in coils.

The rear is pretty easy to upgrade - people around here aren't fans of how my car is setup though. My rear upper strut mounts don't have a collar for the coilovers + isolator to slip around, so my coils are actually centered by the jounce bumper around the strut itself. Custom top mounts are just too expensive when it works just fine how I have it, especially seeing how the asking price has gone up so much...

Westshore fabrictors will sell you just the mounts if you ask. That's what I did on mine a few years ago. I think they were like 80 bucks or something. I might have bought the poly upper spring seat from them too. I can't remember. It can be had other places as well. But yeah, you really need to ditch that bump stop.

Westshore fabrictors will sell you just the mounts if you ask. That's what I did on mine a few years ago. I think they were like 80 bucks or something. I might have bought the poly upper spring seat from them too. I can't remember. It can be had other places as well. But yeah, you really need to ditch that bump stop.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for sure, sounds like a pretty solid price.

Just heard from the shop - they said they've only got one strut out, but it was 100% collapsed, have been riding on just the springs for god knows how long.

Update to my parts list

Prices for quantity shown – not sure if I’ll need balljoints or tierods

Control Arms

Sway Bar Bushings

Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 35mm Energy Suspension Part # 9.5173 x1 $18.99

Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 23mm Energy Suspension Part # 9.5159 x1 $15.99

Springs and Struts

Strut Bellow kit KYB Part # SB104 x2 $24.42

Strut Plate Insulator w/ Bearing RAYBESTOS Part # 5201193 x2 $97.58

Strut Mount Cap w/ Bearing ACDELCO Part # 45E1224 x2 $111.58

$548.81

Wish I saw this before you ordered, I have some new in box pieces I could have sold to you on the cheap. I want to upgrade to ES all around the front and I have MOOG NIB, but while I have them I can't justify buying a new set of ES. Same with Bellows, I don't think I need them for the coil overs. Ah well.

Bah. Oh Welllz.

I did wind up with an extra set of bearings from the strut plates, in case anyone is using this as a guide in the future. Got my car back today and took it for a very short test drive(because it's rush hour), but holy fucking jeebus it's infinitely smoother. Cant wait for traffic to die down a bit. Turns out my struts were completely collapsed, just like I thought! Was riding on nothing but springs. Have my alignment sheet and I'm all green and in spec. It's been out probably since I've owned the car. Definitely the caster, I've always noticed it seemed to turn in sharper in one direction.