gp deck speakers

iroc2

so upon working on replaceing my rear deck speakers, i found some of GM's finer elecetrical engineering with having seperate circuits for the bass and mid going to the speakers.

so i have some new speakers and im kinda stuck on which circuit i should get into and which to leave alone.

i was thinking go with the bass since its in back and i got the door speakers for the mids and highs.

upon some playing i decided i didnt like that and since i know many of you on here have done such things, im curious what has been done by others.

im mainly looking to still have a full range of sound in back like before, but since i havent really done anything audio wise to my car yet, it would be good to get some pointers for this. besides this issue i have a good understanding of car audio.

Edited by iroc2

you must have the factory amplified system then.... fun.

from the looks of the diagrams.... the way it works is that the amp reads an always present speaker level signal for the rear speakers and amplifies/filters it for "subwoofer" control.

essentially, if you use the wires that are used to drive the non-subwoofer portion, you'll get the full range signal.

need the diagrams?

na i got the repair manuals and some-data at work.

i just feel like theres an easier way.....

the stock radio has the EQ on it which would explain a lot. didnt think about that...

seems pretty simple to me: only use the wires that are constantly used for the new rears. is there a gain knob or something else that activates the amp?

Like Robert said you may be able to just use the "subwoofer" wires and get full signal. If that doesn't work you will need to hook the subwoofer wire up the the speaker like normal, then connect the wires for the highs to the tinsel leads going to the tweeter on your speaker. This is how the Grand Ams with the Monsoon system work since the crossover is built into the amp itself.

My 89 TGP has the "Perfomance Sound" switch on the door. It just shuts off the amp that runs the door speakers, the other 4 speakers are ran off the amp in the radio. The switch was not on any grand prixs after 89, not sure if it could be had on non-TGPs either.

Like Robert said you may be able to just use the "subwoofer" wires and get full signal. If that doesn't work you will need to hook the subwoofer wire up the the speaker like normal, then connect the wires for the highs to the tinsel leads going to the tweeter on your speaker. This is how the Grand Ams with the Monsoon system work since the crossover is built into the amp itself.

ya i had a thought of doing this, except id be cutting wires so that the high can go directly to the high and not have to deal with any "extra signals" from the sub

i have seen GP that had the gain switch on the drivers door panel, and one cutlass that has it next to the headlight switch

^you may be thinking of this?? \/ ive never heard of such a switch existing before

My 89 TGP has the "Perfomance Sound" switch on the door. It just shuts off the amp that runs the door speakers, the other 4 speakers are ran off the amp in the radio. The switch was not on any grand prixs after 89, not sure if it could be had on non-TGPs either.

Left rear speaker, use YELLOW for negative and BROWN for positive.

Right rear speaker, use LIGHT BLUE for negative and DARK BLUE for positive. That will give you full range amplified signal directly from the HU. It will have plenty of bass with the EQ radio you have.

The factory design really isn't very good, it takes over-boosted bass signals at full power directly from the HU, attempts to "amplify" them, probably at something like 10% THD, and sends out maybe a 10 watt more powerful signal that's been horribly distorted to a second voice coil in THE SAME SPEAKER. Essentially giving each rear speaker two underpowered distorted signals. Boo.

I've had to wire around a couple of these amplified systems, and it always sounds better just disconnecting the bass side of the circuit completely.