Which speakers

jman093

Not a w-body, this is for the aerocoupe, but audio is all the same anyway. I need some new front speakers to replace my blown out, rattling ones up front. I'm thinking it wasn't a good idea to hook them up to a 70 RMS amp, lol. These will be the only speakers up front and the biggest that can fit up front is unfortunately a 3.5". Which of these would be best for this purpose? I don't know a damn about car audio.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=51100&cc=01&compareItems=01|777P35&compareItems=01|206DS35&compareItems=01|206KS35&compareItems=01|065SE35&compareItems=01|107DXI350&compareItems=01|068R352N&compareItems=01|136TR350CX&compareItems=01|107DB351&compareItems=01|1083032CF&compareItems=01|136C2350X

Not a w-body, this is for the aerocoupe, but audio is all the same anyway. I need some new front speakers to replace my blown out, rattling ones up front. I'm thinking it wasn't a good idea to hook them up to a 70 RMS amp, lol. These will be the only speakers up front and the biggest that can fit up front is unfortunately a 3.5". Which of these would be best for this purpose? I don't know a damn about car audio.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=51100&cc=01&compareItems=01|777P35&compareItems=01|206DS35&compareItems=01|206KS35&compareItems=01|065SE35&compareItems=01|107DXI350&compareItems=01|068R352N&compareItems=01|136TR350CX&compareItems=01|107DB351&compareItems=01|1083032CF&compareItems=01|136C2350X

I'd go with the Boston or the Polks. Kickers aren't too great for sound quality.

just put the tweeter there. get components and mount the woofers elsewhere

There's no way to really do that on a G-body. The dash is only a few inches deep from the firewall. Even 3.5" are a tight fit. 2.5" is stock. There are people who cut their door panel and mount them in there, but the windows can't be rolled down all the way. I don't want that. There are also people who switch to a mechanical carb and distributor so you can ditch the ECM in the kickpanel and mount them in the kickpanels, but I don't want to do that either. The only way to really do it is to find the speaker bracket and grille used on some high end Regals that mounts the speaker up out of the door, but these are really hard to find. I'd be all over some if I saw them. Some people make their own. They look like shit and I don't really know how to do make them anyway.

Regal speaker grille:

135332316.jpg

A custom job

33115760030_large.jpg

you can mount the woofers anywhere, just leave the tweeters up there for a stereo sound.

bass is non directional.

Woofers? Are you talking a subwoofer or just a good speaker? I do have some 6 x 9's on an amp in the rear:

Speakers: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7323_Rockford-Fosgate-Power-T1692C.html

Amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IiMR0BqFwCi/p_500MRPF450/Alpine-MRP-F450.html#details-tab

The 3.5" I have now are also hooked up to the amp. I think I'll hook the new ones up to the head unit.

I've also thought about adding a sub or two since the trunk is worthless on an Aerocoupe due to the opening being so small, but have no idea how to due subs since they need a box and I dont even know if they'd work with that 70 RMS amp.

Edited by jman093

I meant the woofer that comes with a two way component set. there is a crossover, a woofer and a tweeter.

deck power would be a downgrade if you have an amplifier already. and yes the amp would work exactly as it does now only you can use a sealed enclosure and have more sound since you are not mounting them in the dash

you could even fit 2 tweeters there if you wanted a 4 ch setup.

I meant the woofer that comes with a two way component set. there is a crossover, a woofer and a tweeter.

Ah, I know what you're talking about now. I still don't know where I'd put the woofers in this car unless it was behind the rear seat, but that seems pointless as there's already good speakers back there. And I would then only have dinky little tweeters up front when I could have a full speakers even if they're small ones. :shrug:

deck power would be a downgrade if you have an amplifier already. and yes the amp would work exactly as it does now only you can use a sealed enclosure and have more sound since you are not mounting them in the dash

you could even fit 2 tweeters there if you wanted a 4 ch setup.

But isn't hooking speakers rated "2-35 RMS" to a 70 RMS amp going to blow the speakers? The 3.5" speakers I have up there now didn't last long after I put them on the amp.

the speakers don't last long because they are not suspended on a cushion of air. they need air ride to be pimpin.

if you think I dare suggest that you mount the component woofers in a box and throw them in the interior of the car somewhere if you have to, then you are right.

I have done the same thing, only I used fiberglass pods. it solved the problem of no powerhandling before blowing out. and yes you can still blow them out if you do not cut off the low lows. even with deck power probably, although I would not worry about that since you have an amp already. which, does it have a subsonic filter by chance?

the speakers don't last long because they are not suspended on a cushion of air. they need air ride to be pimpin.

if you think I dare suggest that you mount the component woofers in a box and throw them in the interior of the car somewhere if you have to, then you are right.

I have done the same thing, only I used fiberglass pods. it solved the problem of no powerhandling before blowing out. and yes you can still blow them out if you do not cut off the low lows. even with deck power probably, although I would not worry about that since you have an amp already. which, does it have a subsonic filter by chance?

LOL, well I'm not about to do that. I'm not trying to get awesome sound with the 3.5" speakers. I know that's not even close to possible. I'm just trying to get some speakers up there to work without rattling like hell. The amp does have a subsonic filter. No clue what that is though. Does it block out the lows or something to keep the speakers from blowing/rattling? I have no clue what all the adjustments on the amp are.

it might help with that , yes. also some decks have a option for that same purpose. so you should be good if you figure out a good setting to help with that.

the amount of sound you hear from that woofer may have to be almost tuned out in order to not blow it out and it will sound really tinny with those settings, but you will have to live with that and just go with 6x9s to try to ease the pain I guess