Let off gas/engine dies - any ideas?

Toxie

Does anybody have an idea on this one? This started today out of the blue… (Fixed...see bottom of thread, it was the IAC valve)

I have an ‘89 Grand Prix, 3.1…

I turn the ignition over and it may fire but will not start. I give it some gas pedal and it will fire and start. I keep it at around 1,000 rpm and it will run fine, let off the gas pedal and it dies immediately. No spit or sputter, just dies.

Today I replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure at the rail. I had the minimum psi specs with both the key on engine not running (40psi) and engine running (32psi). The air filter looks fine. I checked and cleaned the IAC valve.

I have replaced the following items within the last 10,000 miles.

Spark Plugs

Plug Wires

Ignition Coil Packs (3)

EGR Valve

Idle Air Control Valve (IAC)

Oxygen Sensor

Coolant Temp Sensor

Throttle Position Sensor

PCV Valve

Air Charge Temp Sensor (MAT)

ECM (Computer)

Fuel Injectors (All 6)

Any ideas where to start from here??

Thanks Guys!

Edited by Toxie

Also check the harness at your map is all good, not loose, or broken wire. My old harness had a broken clip and would sometimes fall out and the engine would act exactly like this. If I had to bet I would think awebs suggestion on the IAC valve is the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Got it fixed! :thumbsup:

It was the IAC valve. The valve was stuck all the way out choking the engine as soon as you let off the gas. The one I had was only 6 months old and looked new, it shows even new parts fail...

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it!