Instrument Cluster Question 88GP

madmax

How does one gain access to the instrument cluster on a 88GP? I have an intermittant problem with the digital speedometer that cuts in and out. If I beat on the dash, it comes back on. Thanks.

Max

There's a couple phillips screws on the bottom of the dash above the cluster, I think that's all the fasteners that hold the dashpad on, the you pull the dashpad off... I think that's it.

Just under the dash pad near the top of the cluster, there's 2 phillips screws. AND there's one 7 mm screw located inside the glove box hole... Oprn the glove box look up in the hole (use a flashlight if necessary) at the top and you'll see it. Once you have those 3 fasteners off, pull up on the front edges of the dash on each side to pop the clips loose. Then pull the dash toward you and it'll come off.

The digital cluster may need to be redone.

Are you going to fix the Digital Cluster by yourself or replacing it with another one?

A lot of times the Digital Speedometer intermittent problem is due to an IC (Integrated Chip) that needs re-soldering its solder connections.

Check my similar problem

http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/sands/2476/automobile/digital_instrument_cluster.htm