18 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with my new wheels?

• Black (redo the plastidip)
    • Black with polished rim
    • Original polished aluminum
    • Other color (please specify)

So I picked these wheels up today:

post-4758-143689074474_thumb.jpg

They are off a 2000ish Ford Mustang GT. They were $100, and I got a set of lugnuts too, so I feel like I made out like a bandit on the deal. So here is the question... do I leave them black (they are plastidipped), or choose another color? Or just go back to the stock polished form?

Another problem is the little embossed mustang logo. I don't really want that on my car.

So what do you think?

Put them up next to your car and see how you like them black

x2 Or polish them. Take them to a bead blaster. have em blasted. then sand away to get the luster you want.

I peeled the plastidip off of one of the wheels that was the worst... the finish underneath is in pretty good shape (at least on this wheel). Still not sure what I want to do. And is there anything I can do about the Mustang logo?

I peeled the plastidip off of one of the wheels that was the worst... the finish underneath is in pretty good shape (at least on this wheel). Still not sure what I want to do. And is there anything I can do about the Mustang logo?

Depends if you're going polished or not I guess. I voted for polished, but if you're painting... you could fill in the logo with mighty putty or something, then sand and repaint.

Depends if you're going polished or not I guess. I voted for polished, but if you're painting... you could fill in the logo with mighty putty or something, then sand and repaint.

Perhaps I should have been more specific when I said polished. I was referring to the finish beneath the plastidip, which I guess is actually more machined than polished, with painted inserts.

Anywho, two down two to go. I think I'm just gonna leave them bare... I like them. However I'm still going to need to figure out what to do with the center caps. They match the machine face of the wheels but are plastic, not aluminum. Maybe fill, sand, and aluminum paint? Does such a beast exist? I duno. Opinions please.

post-4758-143689074549_thumb.jpg

post-4758-143689074556_thumb.jpg

post-4758-143689074552_thumb.jpg

post-4758-143689074545_thumb.jpg

I like the polished look. But the pony logo on it really sucks. Paint is not going to look the same as polished metal. I have seen some badly curbed rashed rims get fixed. Take it to shop that does that kind of thing see if they can fill those in and keep a polished look.

there is "chrome" paint out there, but i have no idea how well it works. i imagine if you could get the surface to look right with teh ponies filled in, then spray that over it, it MIGHT match the finish well enough.

How deep is the mustang logo? Perhaps fill it in carefully without hurting the finish and getting some pontiac arrowhead stickeers to cover it up, in a silver or chrome so its not too extreme

How deep is the mustang logo? Perhaps fill it in carefully without hurting the finish and getting some pontiac arrowhead stickeers to cover it up, in a silver or chrome so its not too extreme

The logos aren't very deep at all. I thought about putting Pontiac arrowheads on it but I just thought they would have to be so huge it would look goofy. I'll ask the guys at the paint store tomorrow when I get to work what they might recommend.

Yeah.... that could be a problem. If you could find material that would blend init might work better

Also maybe try to find some unlicenced aftermaret center caps that would just be blank.

Also maybe try to find some unlicenced aftermaret center caps that would just be blank.

I was going to say this as well. If I was able to find some aftermarket center caps for my old 98 z34, you'd certainly think you'd be able to find some for mustang wheels.

I ran a search on ebay this morning and didn't see any blank ones in this style. The only ones I saw in this style still had the pony on them.

Ad says has rust on it. That would be metal to me.

Looks plastic to me. No matter, I really don't like those center caps. I'll see what I can do with what I have.

Still not sure what I'm doing with the center caps. Been doing some shopping around for tires and the cheapest I've found so far was $86 a tire for Nexus tires. One of the dealerships at work that I'm friends with gave me that price. On tire rack cheapest was $96 a tire.