Side door molding/trim

Mel87

Well looking at some peoples signature pictures of the Cutlass Supreme convertible, I notice that many, if not all have a side molding in the middle of the door, or I guess you could call it a bump guard? But anyways I was at the junk yard and saw a convertible Cutlass there that had the side moldings on it. Do you think it would look good on the hardtop Supreme? I think it would set the car off some more :)

How would I go about removing the pieces, are they just glued with adhesive or is it screwed in from inside the door? If anyone is unclear of the piece I am talking about... the piece in the middle of the door, extends to the front fender and the rear quarter panel.

used-1993-oldsmobile-cutlass_supreme-supreme-3819-427972-1-640.jpg

Personally, I like the piece I think it add some definition to car. They are just glued on with adhesive. If you start prying at it with a flat screen driver it will likely come off. To apply it to your vehicle get some 3M double sided tape.

It's up to you if you want it. It is your car. Now my opinion on a coupe would be to leave it off. The only real thing it protect the car from is a door ding from a truck.

Alright, I may go back and try to pry them off without snapping them. I think it would look nice, it accents the car, only thing I am not sure about it having that on there with the pinstripe I have on the car.

That 'vert you posted looks like it is two different colors from the pinstripe. A darker shade and a lighter shade. Your car also doesn't have any badges on the doors. They might want to break, so just take it slow. Doing it in the summer is probably better. They will be more malleable from the heat.

Another question for you, the same car at the yard had the 3.4L, so it had the dual exhaust cut out in the bumper, are the bumpers from the convertibles able to bolt on to mine? I don't want to chop up at my bumper. I know I don't have the 3.4 but who says I can get single in dual out, it would look real nice from the back

That 'vert you posted looks like it is two different colors from the pinstripe. A darker shade and a lighter shade. Your car also doesn't have any badges on the doors. They might want to break, so just take it slow. Doing it in the summer is probably better. They will be more malleable from the heat.

Okay thanks man, I may give it a try. :thumbsup:

Another question for you, the same car at the yard had the 3.4L, so it had the dual exhaust cut out in the bumper, are the bumpers from the convertibles able to bolt on to mine? I don't want to chop up at my bumper. I know I don't have the 3.4 but who says I can get single in dual out, it would look real nice from the back

Yes, it's a bolt on.

Should bolt up the same as far as I know. I know 1992 Cutlass internationals had a dual outlets in the bumper for the exhaust. GM probably just used a convertible bumper. So it probably is the same.

Behind each wheel well cover there are two bolts. 8-10mm in size. Then in the trunk behind the carpet paneling. There are a couple more bolts. Then on the driver side of the trunk there should be another bolt for the bumper coming up from the trunk pan. Might be a good idea to grab the muffler hangers too. Or just cut the mufflers off at the resonator. Since you will need a y-pipe for dual mufflers.

Sweet, if I have time tomorrow I know what I am getting. Now as far as painting goes, I have the original dealer brochure from my car, it shows all available paints for that year, I am guessing Maaco could do a decent job matching it?

IMAG0472.jpg

I don't want to put down Maaco. They are going to be cheap, and you'll get a decent paint job out of it. Looks like you take very good care of your car. They do paint cars for under 300 dollars. But I'm sure for just a bumper they will do a decent enough job. If you walk into a local body shop they might want 300 or 400 dollars. Depends were you live.

I'm guessing you have 42 Medium green Metallic? I'm sure they will be able to match it pretty close.

I will have to do some searching on some paint shops around here, never really looked cause I havent ever got anything re sprayed. But yes it is medium green metallic, (42) is the paint code? I have looked on the trunk lid, and door panels for a service tag for paint codes and nothing is there. Our 87 Cutlass has a service tag in the trunk that says everything the car is equipped with.. guess they went away with that.

Remove bump strip. Best decision I made with my cutlass, and I never once wished I would have left it on. WD-40 or some other adhesive remover, and something flat (and plastic, not metal) to pry it off. Be careful though not to pull any paint off. Leaving it out in the sun for a while will help.

if you really want this bump strip, and i dunno why you would, when you are removing it from the other car try to like "saw" it off evenly with a piece of fishing line or something. if you just start from one side and pull it off, it will stretch and curl, and it will never fit any car right again