4T60-0 LG5-2

skalor

Well, my new TGP just ate the tranny. That's my second TGP and my second tranny gone for those keeping count. My first TGP had(still has) a regular 4T60 which the previous owner put in. Now this one just took a crap on me over the weekend. I was cruising and got on it about 3/4 to get in front of the car next to me because the road was merging. It kicked down to second with a huge thud. I immediately left off of the gas, then I pressed the gas to see if it was ok. It just revved and didn't go anywhere. Anyways, reverse works perfect, but all of my forward gears are f$@ked. I tried all the different gear selections(1,2,D,OD), but it just barely moves when idling and as soon as I push the gas it just revs up and the car doesn't move. Looks like this one is getting the getrag 284 and not the other one. :cry: :evil:

The 284 is the tranny meant for the 3.4 DOHC and there are no parts for it, everyone that does that swap goes for a 282 meant for the 3.1.

Yeah, I know about the lack of parts available for the 284. I was given an opportunity to get a complete 284 setup for cheap, and I got it. There is no reason that a 3.1 can't use a 284. At least no reasons that I know of anyways.

Well..what I've read so far....about the 284....its non user rebuildible...inputshatf fails at high power levels...and a high performance clutch cost are like buying 60" HDTV..LOL

The 282 is more user friendly...more clutch selection....ceramic....oh yea..and geas to swap...limited slip, mini spool anyone?

My brother is useing a ceramic 6puck sprung hub clutch (Spec stage III) on his T-bird T and is freaking grippy...theres no comparison to organic at all. Im telling you this cuz if you do find a race clutch (organic will slipp alot if you hammer it at speeds) for the 284...its going to cost you your arm and leg... :shock:

Yeah, I know all that crap about the 284. I also don't really trust the 282. Sure, there are a lot of fiero guys that use them behind SBs, N*, LS1s, L67s, and they hold up for a while. The key word here being a while. The 284 is a much beefier tranny, and is very easy to distinguish the 284 from the 282. Just look at all of the extra webing built into the case of the 284, whereas the 282 has a known case cracking issue. :shock: 8)

SPEC sells clutches for the 284 and a stage I is $489, which is quoted as being good for 360 ft lbs. Sure, it's a lot more than the 282 clutch, but it's not that bad. :roll: