94 regal radio swapout.

regalman

I have a couple of questions. I am going to swap my radio for something new. I have noticed that the Kenwood HUs are rated at 22 watts RMS , while most other brands are rated anywhere from 17 to 20. Will these few extra watts make a difference? I like the Pioneers , but the Kenwoods have more power. I wont have anything fancy just upgraded

6x9s in the rears and either 4x6 in the doors ,or 4 inchers instead. I ve also read that I should replace the door speakers with a good set of 4 inch instead of the 4x6 ers. Is it true that the round speakers reproduce better sound than the oval 4x6? Next question: I have the separate tweeter and woofer in the doors and do not see anywhere to replace these

cheaply as it is a component set, if it scrap them should I go with a good 2 or 3 way speaker? Also will 5 inch speakers fit in the door without hacking it up? I would like to swap the components in the doors without paying the big bucks. Any advice on these issues would be appreciated.

I assume you have the premium sound in your regal since you mention having 4x6's in the doors. When I had my regal, I just left the stock door speakers alone and installed 4" speakers in the unused openings in the dash. The car was already wired for it so all I had to was plug the speakers in and BAM. Added an amazing sound stage to the front of the cabin. MUCH clearer vocals since the sound was hitting my ears not my feet.

As far as the 22 watt kenwood units over the 18-20 watts that the other brands put out, forget about it. It takes 4 times the power to double the sound output, so adding 2 watts will make no difference to your ears. You're better off finding more efficient speakers than a more powerful radio.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I pulled the empty panels on the dash and there are no speaker wires in there. I might just go with a decent set of 5.25 speakers in the doors and scrap the ones in there, along with a new HU, that existing radio has a slave cassette attached to it, I want a USB port to play music through. Ive been told I can change those 4x6 for 5.25 without much cutting. The stock radio sounds pretty good though. I am going to swap radio first and see how it sounds, Do you know if the new HU will support 6 speakers though?

Hm... yours might not be there but I will say my wires weren't exactly "laying" out in the open. I just fished my hand around until I found an unplugged connector. Completely blind. The drivers side took me about 30 seconds. The passenger side took me 2 separate attempts. It's a tough bugger.