TGP Rack & Pinion "Sport Suspension"?

Addicted2bass

Im planning on putting a new steering rack in the TGP. I know the rack is differant from a regular Grand Prix. Autozone seems to be the only place that lists multiple racks.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1989-Pontiac-Grand-Prix/Rack-Pinion/_/N-ihk17Z8oxk3

Looks like I need either the 64139 or 6453 depending on whether my car has 2.25 or 2.75 turns from lock to lock. Are these the TGP racks?

Im assuming a non "sport" rack would give me more power assist? I like to buy from Napa becasue I get a good discount however they only list one rack. Autozone is the only place I can find that lists a "sport steering" rack.

Got one from Napa today. Its the 2.25 lock to lock rack. Anything I need to know about putting it in? My friend who is a mechanic is helping me since i've never installed a rack and pinion before.

Im assuming a non "sport" rack would give me more power assist?

The sport rack is just "tighter". It takes less of a steering wheel turn to make the steering rack travel further. I don't think there's a difference in terms of steering "power" between the two.

Edit: I would use new power steering lines.

Yup got new power steering lines. Well one line, the return line is no longer avalible. But we should be able to use regular low pressure line for that if we need to.

Set your toe straight(front tires parallel) with a tape measure once you have the rack in... then get alignment?

When I have used screw fittings like at the end of the line, i always coat the surface where the line and fitting meet to prevent rusting and thus difficulty in future removal, if needed.

Make sure you bolt the rack in, unlike the rack that Bob's vert had when I got it?

Sometimes the joint that attaches to the rack is a bit too tight to slide on. I have used a 7mm typical interior screw and screwed it into the cut gap on the edge of the joint to spread the gap so that the joint slides on with ease. once on, remove the screw.

need more advice?

Thanks Ken. We should be good. A friend of mine is helping me, hes a mechanic and has done racks before. I have you're number so if we run into any problems ill give you a ring.

I have a TGP rack in my z34, in addition to the 2.25 it also has less assist which gives the steering a nice feel IMO.

Well we ran into larger problems then the rack. Turns out the passenger side front subframe mount rotted away and the drivers side doesnt look like its following to far behind. im having problems locating new mounts. If anyone has any advice heres my thread on it: http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/50632-Rotted-out-subframe-mount. Thanks.

gm has new mounts and autozone can get you the power steering hoses. go online to autozones website. I actually just bought all new lines from them along with the mounts from GM

The GM dealership I went to could order everything new except the body to frame mounts which are discontinued. I ended up getting everything from a member on here. I got power steering lines from Napa, but the ones in there were perfect so we didnt end up doing them.