A/C and Heater problems

5spdz34

After getting my car running pretty decent, I'm starting to look at the other "non-essential" stuff on the car. I wanted to make sure I had it running decent before I spent anymore money. The problem I got is that I'm only getting air from my defrost vents. It's got ice cold A/C and the heater will blow you out of there but it's not coming out of the dash vents. I know it probably runs off vacuum but where should I check first? Anybody else have this problem??? Thanks in advance.

I have had the same problem but I have been unsuccessfull in my attempts to fix it. Although I have been able to make my vents "driblle" out air. In my '94 GP the vacuum line attaches to the damper on the drivers side you can follow that to a 3 way valve which was under the air box one end goes to the "suction ball" and the other to the manifold. I believe the ball is there so you can change the air position when the engine is off, but I could be way wrong. There is a diagram in this forum of the relevant vacuum lines, I just dont remember where. Also does anyone know if it is possible for the damper to be stuck or the vacuum to be weak?

you are correct it is a vacuum issue.

about the only thing you can do is think about what you have touched or a shop may have touched under teh hood.

in my friends 90 cutty it was a broken vacuum line near the cruise control and the battery.

in my 90 cutty it was when i was working on running my power wire and i ended up disconnecting a vacuum hose behind and on top of the plenum.

but just take a little time and look underhood for broke or disconnected vacuum hoses.

i dunno how far back this place keep posts but there was a few threads last fall and last summer late about this problem.

good luck

Monty

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem on my new Lumi. I replaced the heater fan cause it was bad and I though it was poblem. But still I get barely any heat and it doesn't seem like it is switching properly. My other car puts out more on low then this one on max but the fan are running at same speeds (approx.) on all settings.

There is vaccum there cause if you try in morning it won't do anything till you runn the car a moment.

Would it have to be low vaccum? or is it possibly the unit that switches is defective? Has anyone had and fixed this same problem?

I have the exact same problem on my new Lumi. I replaced the heater fan cause it was bad and I though it was poblem. But still I get barely any heat and it doesn't seem like it is switching properly. My other car puts out more on low then this one on max but the fan are running at same speeds (approx.) on all settings.

There is vaccum there cause if you try in morning it won't do anything till you runn the car a moment.

Would it have to be low vaccum? or is it possibly the unit that switches is defective? Has anyone had and fixed this same problem?