Just wanted to say HI.

EMT_156

I just bought a '96 Lumina LS with 86,000 miles on it. I was wondering if there are any upgrades I shoulod do first thing or things I need to watch out for on these cars.

Thanks

Welcome!!

Start with preventive maintenance before you go into 'upgrades'. I'm assuming you have the 3100.... You probably need to do your lower intake manifold gaskets/coolant flush for one, trans flush/filter change, etc etc

Yeah it's the 3100 and yes on the coolant flush and tranny service. I also need to change out the turn signal switch. Which I see is a common problem. I'm not looking to make a hot rod out of it just want to make it run better and maybe more MPG's. It's my wife's car

Welcome to the forum!

Keep an eye on your lower intake manifold gaskets like Buck said, they usually show they're failing with oil in the coolant (at least mine did).

Plain old copper plugs do our engines well!

No pic yet. I still have to get it registered and get it from the people I bought it from. There was some paper work that i still needed because I bought it from the daughter of the original owner as she has power of attorney of her parents. Hopefully on Thursday I'll be able to get it registered cause DMV is open late.